Trying to see if I have a blown head gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trying to see if I have a blown head gasket

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!The Ruffstuff 9" Disc Brake brackets!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 04-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
nsgibson
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to see if I have a blown head gasket

I pulled the dipstick on my 94 YJ and saw chocolate milkshake up and down the stick. Figured I had a head gasket problem. Pulled the oil filter and saw similar consistency and color and not all oil was draining (was heavier than a new one). However, when I drained the oil, it looked normal consistency and color which has me rethinking things.

Also, it has not overheated. I have seen nothing on the temp gauge abnormal. The coolant was low in the overflow but the radiator was full. The only evidence was the dipstick and filter issues.

What should be my next step? i obviously don't want to jump into a HG replacement unless I am sure. Some folks I have talked to speculate it could be condensation, but I am not sure what causes that.

Thanks for any tips!

nsgibson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

2 things to do- !. do a compression test, if the head gasket is bad 2 cylinders next to each other will be very low. 2. fill out your profile so we know something about your jeep.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
nsgibson
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I will try that, read up on it, seems simple enough. However from my limited understanding, if the failure of the gasket occurred such that it opened passage from an oil port to a coolant port, and not to a cylinder, wouldnt that cause brown milkshake oil but not affect compression? Did not notice any power loss either. Still trying to learn about how this works....

Thanks!

Also updated some of my jeep info.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Another check is to pull the spark plugs out one at a time and see if any of them look like they were just installed. Water in the combustion chamber will act like a steam cleaner.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

A compression test will tell you if your head is blown anywhere. If it is blown between cylinders or to the waterways the compression will read low no matter what. But it will also read low if you have shot valves or rings. Although not as low.

If it's blown your exhaust will smell sweet. If it's bad you will see white exhaust.

I say run a compression test and check your plugs when doing so

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
MaddBones702
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you take off the radiator cap and warm up check for bubbles in the water
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you only drive short trips not allowing the engine to fully warm up, the condensation will cause the oil to look like it does as well. Any chance this could be the case?
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #8
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do the compression test. Its quick easy and will tell you alot.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #9
nsgibson
1994 YJ Wrangler 

ok, I will do the compression test over the weekend and check out the plugs also. Also, I put a quart of cheap, new oil in and then drained it, just to see what it would pull with it. It looked clean.

Also, the oil cap at the top of the valve cover didn't have any of the similar consistency oil thrown up onto it. Don't know if that would be common.

I typically drive it to work 1-2 days a week, 15 miles or so. It gets to steady state temperature.

Thanks for all the responses. I'll see what the compression test tells me and get back with you guys. -Nathan
Unread 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
nsgibson
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I had some delays due to work and weather, but I finally got to the compression check.

First, the spark plugs were all well worn (and needing a change, which I did later!). There was NOT one that looked any better than the others ("cleaned" by coolant).

Compression Results:

Cylinder 1: 100
Cylinder 2: 125
Cylinder 3: 120
Cylinder 4: 110
Cylinder 5: 130
Cylinder 6: 130

So, there is some spread across the cylinders, and I retested #1 since it was the low one, and confirmed the result. #1 is lower than I'd like, but there are not two low cylinders next to each other.

I had already changed the oil after the original finding on the dipstick, so I put in the new plugs and I drove around the neighborhood for 20 min. Temp was stable, no noticeable issues. After driving, I let it cool and rechecked the dipstick. It was clean as a whistle, as was the oil.

Given that the ONLY indication of a potential issue was the original dipstick finding (no overheat, etc), and looking at these results, am I crazy for thinking my YJ is ok? Anyone see anything in these data that I should be concerned about? I really appreciate any further advice.
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #11
50rck
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How long have you had your YJ? Just wondering if the PO could have overheated it once and put on a rebuilt head. Once a head gets warped, it will usually warp again. Only thing I can think of for you other than condensation like was posted before, but that would have to be a lot of condensation to be in all the places you describe.

2006 Jeep Liberty. Nothing special, all stock.
50rck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
nsgibson
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have had it only one year. I could try emailing the PO to find out.

I am curious also if condensation could cause what I saw...however you say "condensation in all the places you describe"...I only saw this on the dipstick. It just seems weird if it is the head gasket since there are no other clear signs (at least not to me!).

Thanks!
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You dont always get overheating with a head gasket problem. Just keep a eye on the coolant and the oil and see if you have a repeat. There is no sense in digging deeper until you see if it repeats after the oil change.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #14
Jeepsr4me

Look down in thru the oil fill port. You will see pudding if gasket is bad or cracked head. If not change oil and keep eye on it.
compression test will not always show a bad haead gasket. Such as when between oil port and coolant. Just had that happen a few weeks ago.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can also get a test kit to test the coolant for the presence of exhaust gases if your that worried. As others have said the easiest and cheapest way is to keep a tight eye on your oil and coolant for a few weeks.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.