Trying to remove body-frame bolts, one is spinning - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trying to remove body-frame bolts, one is spinning

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 04-02-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Trying to remove body-frame bolts, one is spinning

I am trying to remove the body-to-frame bolts in order to install a set of nerf bars (side steps). I have to remove 2 bolts on each side. I managed to get the rear of the two on the drivers side loosened. However, the front just spins. This is the mounting point right behind the rear shackle of the front spring (below your feet when driving).

I can look up under there with a mirror and see a square flange welded in place. It looks like whatever the bolt threads into is just spinning with the bolt.

Anyone have guidance on how to proceed? I was thinking I'll have to drill it out though I'm not even sure how to do that. Should I cut the bolt off with a sawsall, then drill the part that is left (upward, into the frame mounting point)? I could imagine if I get the old bolt out, I'd just use a new bolt with a nut and washer since I can access this one. Thoughts on that?

I'm waiting to proceed on the passenger side in case this becomes too big an effort I'd rather have one PITA bolt to correct than 2 or 3.

Thanks.

Augy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

This Might help you...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...-w-pix-705291/

Last edited by littlejohn411; 04-02-2010 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: Too many meds.
littlejohn411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejohn411 View Post
That wont help. He is talking about the body mount to the tub under the drivers seat.

The bolt is situated right in front of the seat brakets under the slope into the driver foot well.

Cutting into the the tub is the only way I know how to truly fix this.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Damn you are right,I swear he was talking about the tcase,I'm gonna take a nap.
By the way rusty,awesome job on the faq sticky.

Last edited by littlejohn411; 04-02-2010 at 03:41 PM.. Reason: it wasn't me
littlejohn411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What? No, no, no...don't leave! I am talking about the body-to-frame mounting bolt that is located just behind the front spring. It's the one that is just about in line with where the front fender mates to the tub. I can access the top by reaching up and over a brace. There is a metal plate and I'm guessing a nut is below that plate and is spinning. It's the one that is forward of the one under the seat (the Rusty mentioned).

Help me please......
Unread 04-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Ah that one. Cut it off, pop it thru the top and put a new bolt with a stack of fender washers in there. That square plate is there to hold the nut in place. If you have access to a welder, just weld a new nut/plate in. Otherwise, just cut it off and pound it thru.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Unread 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Ah that one. Cut it off, pop it thru the top and put a new bolt with a stack of fender washers in there. That square plate is there to hold the nut in place. If you have access to a welder, just weld a new nut/plate in. Otherwise, just cut it off and pound it thru.
Cool. I just took a BFH and hit it upward and the bracket that captures the 'nut' came loose. I peeled it up and can see the big, square 'nut'. Just need to cut off the bolt unless I can somehow hold the 'nut' in place and use an impact wrench.

Last edited by Augy; 04-02-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Unread 04-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

A vice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 04-02-2010, 04:29 PM   #9
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, working on my Heep has been called a "vice" by my wife JK, I'll see if I can get a pair of vise grips on it and go to town with an impact wrench.
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
Augy
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome, I was able to cut off the bolt and replace with a trip to the hardware store. The other 3 came out no problem. Got the nerf bars installed. I think it's time I become a paying member here...I've gotten a lot of good advice. Thanks again Rusty!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.