Trying to fit new tail pipe - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trying to fit new tail pipe

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2001, 11:09 AM   #1
jmsjeep

Trying to fit new tail pipe

I am trying to get in a new tail pipe and I cannot move it back far enough to get it in the muffler because it hits a bar which is connected from the frame to the opposite side on the axle. Do I have to remove this or am I not seeing something? Do I even need this bar? is this an antisway bar? If I take it off will I stray all over the road?

Thanks for the help

'89 YJ 4 banger all stock, replacing all the worn out guts first, 97 grand cherokee limited
jmsjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2001, 11:24 AM   #2
JPFREEK
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like you are hitting the Track bar. There are different opinions on whether you need this or not, I removed mine when I installed my lift and never noticed it was gone. Keep in mind that I also drive around completely disconnected too! I say remove the track bar. Option #2 would be to remove the muffler and slide the bar in that way.

WNYOffroad;CNY Jeep
JPFREEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2001, 11:40 AM   #3
Razskidoo

I purchased a Black Cat tail pipe and muffler . It was tricky to install the tail pipe over the track bar .
I had to raise the Jeep until the rear wheels were off the ground (that cause the track bar to drop a little)
Then I had to feed the tail pipe from the driver side over the track bar then slide the pipe into position.
It took a few tries until I was able to get it in place.
Make sure you insert the tail pipe far enough into the muffler to clear the track bar (not much room)

Note- if you have new shackles bolts for you springs MAKE SURE THE BOLT HEAD IS ON THE INSIDE! (If the threaded end is inside it will hit the tail pipe)

I do a lot of highway driving so I kept the track bar on. (Good for sudden turns and uninspected stops) keeps the Jeep from being top heavy! But not so good when 4 wheeling! Itís your call!
Unread 07-14-2001, 11:52 AM   #4
Razskidoo

It's a TFX KAT-BACK system
Unread 07-14-2001, 11:25 PM   #5
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Run the passenger side only up a ramp(or Jack up the driver's side using the frame and jackstands as high as needed)
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.