TrueTrac, Axle Disconnect and Dana 30 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TrueTrac, Axle Disconnect and Dana 30

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #16
Scott91
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 91 also has no C-Clip in the front.

Scott91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:24 AM   #17
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can get the about the same performance from a tru-trac as a locker unless you have a front wheeled jacked in the air all of the time. With the tires planted the tru-trac pulls like a train and is nicer on the street. Even if you do jack up a tire, just apply light brake presure and both tires will pull together like a locker. I've played with the tru-trac for years, it's a great unit. Unless your a hardcore rock crawler, it's all you need. I run the TT in the front and rear and it makes for one caplable off roader with good strret manors. A totally locked front and rear is over kill unless your into extreme rock crawling. If you like trail riding and enjoy driving your jeep on the street, the TT is more than capable, it also strengthens the diffs unlike the lunchbox lockers. The TT doesn't pop and jerk and still keeps the jeep street friendly while still allowing it to climb tree's off road.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #18
airportdave
2010 WK 

Thanks again for all the great info!! Based on this forum and some other feedback, I have a new set of one piece front axle shafts on order, along with a disconnect block-off kit. As soon as Uncle Sam sends me back my money, I hope to get my TrueTracs and new 4.10 gears installed!
Unread 03-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #19
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yer gonna like it! I put a TruTrac in my d30 when I regeared to 4.88s. I eliminated the disconnect with a solid axle, and can't tell it's there on the street. When I get a wheel lifted or on a low traction surface, then a light foot on the brakes will "lock it in". Works great!
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #20
wendell
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know why more people don't use the tru-trac, it's a strong gear driven lsd with features of a locker. It's a great choice for the kind of wheeling a lot of us do. I've had both the D-locker and TT and really perfer the TT because of it's street manors and it doesn't disapoint off/road.
wendell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #21
88yj4.2
1988 YJ Wrangler 

true trac

I have this set up, and it works just like an open diff (with a little trick), when the vaccum dico is open.
you need to open the case and remove the convex spring washer that preloads the gears, without preload it works just like an open diff with one axle disconnected. nothing spins. trade off you don't have preload, (just like all the TT for a cclip axle), just use the brakes some now and then to lock it.

the small u joint 88 89 axle uses the c clip the later one with bigger u joints does not.

I have used this setup for a couple of years now, without a problem, have inspected the diff a couple of times, and i havent seen any metal shavings.
Unread 03-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #22
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88yj4.2 View Post
I have this set up, and it works just like an open diff (with a little trick), when the vaccum dico is open.
you need to open the case and remove the convex spring washer that preloads the gears, without preload it works just like an open diff with one axle disconnected. nothing spins. trade off you don't have preload, (just like all the TT for a cclip axle), just use the brakes some now and then to lock it.

the small u joint 88 89 axle uses the c clip the later one with bigger u joints does not.

I have used this setup for a couple of years now, without a problem, have inspected the diff a couple of times, and i havent seen any metal shavings.
Now THIS is good tech! Best tip I've seen in a year. Nice post and thanks for the great tip.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I just drove a "road" through the Idaho Panhandle that we thought was an all-year road. The farther we got the worse is got- plowed dry, plowed mud, only mud, snow covered at 3300 feet, deeper snow at 3800 feet... first snowmobile/quad trails then...

We started to have troubles keeping centered on the trail and had to back out. Some distance until we could do a 7 point turn!

The story I'm telling is that the posi and front TT were awesome. I've got BFG 33s and a 2.5 lift. What a gas. Talking about a gas, does the Vette engine spoil a person in the mud! The YJ drove like it could go anywhere.
Unread 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #24
The_Norm

My 89 Wrangler appears to have the center axle dropping into the truetrac. It didn't do it for 17 years, now when the vac-disco engages, it pushes the shaft into the differential. I read where the Toyo guys put a spot weld on the splines to prevent this exact problem. The truetrac has bee great (up until now). With the vac-disc open, you can't feel anything, just like an open diff. If I can't find any other problems, it's getting welded... just 2-3 spots.
The_Norm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Norm View Post
My 89 Wrangler appears to have the center axle dropping into the truetrac. It didn't do it for 17 years, now when the vac-disco engages, it pushes the shaft into the differential. I read where the Toyo guys put a spot weld on the splines to prevent this exact problem. The truetrac has bee great (up until now). With the vac-disc open, you can't feel anything, just like an open diff. If I can't find any other problems, it's getting welded... just 2-3 spots.
Why not just go with one piece shafts? I put my truetrac in the rear and couldn't be happier...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.