TrueTrac, Axle Disconnect and Dana 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > TrueTrac, Axle Disconnect and Dana 30

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
airportdave
2010 WK 

TrueTrac, Axle Disconnect and Dana 30

OK, I've looked everywhere for a consistent answer to this question, but haven't received one. Why is it "not recommended" to put a Detroit TrueTrac in a '95 Dana 30 with the axle disconnect?

The follow on question, is can a TrueTrac be run up front in my '95 YJ with the stock axle disconnect system, and what, if any handling or other issues can I expect? I'd love to upgrade the front axle entirely, but the money tree in our yard died earlier this year.

We use our Jeep on both pavement and for mild wheeling.

Unread 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #2
95 Lowbuck

The Trutrac works great in the Dana 30.
You just have to accept that your front D.S. will
be turning all the time as it would with any Locker or L.S.
regardless if you run an axle disconnect or not.
Some people have had good luck running the stock D.S.
after balancing it, but some like me had to go to a C.V. type
D.S. to get rid of vibrations. (The real problem)
As for handling problems, I have them F&R and it drives like
I'm open untill you give it alot of gas in a turn, and only the rear chirps.

Last edited by 95 Lowbuck; 03-09-2009 at 07:26 PM..
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
sitdwnandhngon
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It seems like a waste of money to me. You can get much better performance from a lunchbox locker and it costs alot less.

If you want an lsd for the rear though they have great street manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northjeep View Post
4.2 has 0.2 more!
sitdwnandhngon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I run one in my D44 and love it. Ya its not the cheapest way to go but I can run on the street with my hubs locked and not tell. It the same setup the Military Hummers run if I rember right. Its a gear drive torque biasing differential that can use brake modulation with your auto trany very effectively.

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

I ran a D30, axle disco, TrueTrac setup on my ri for three years as a DD with ZERO issues. It is a great setup for a DD/occasional trail rig. And it is MUCH better than an lunchbox locker as it doesn't stress the front end when it locks up when you don't want it to on road and the on road manners are mcuh better as well.

I have several buddies running their rigs with that setup and they have zero problems as well.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
airportdave
2010 WK 

Cool- thanks for all the input. I'm leaning towards giving it a shot with a balanced front DS. This vehicle for us is most a fun summer car and not a daily driver, so it sounds like a good option.

Last edited by airportdave; 03-09-2009 at 06:52 PM..
airportdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I'm running a TrueTrac up front with a used solid chromemoly front passenger axle off of Ebay for 24 bucks. The setup runs well. If the passenger side axle is disconnected I think the TrueTrac may get screwed up- literally. It would always wind up the TT on one side??? It just didn't seem like a smart thing to do so I put in a solid axle...
Unread 03-09-2009, 06:47 PM   #8
yjjason
X-Y-J-Con

1988 YJ Wrangler 

you can get a junk yard tj axle & get rid of disco. just my 2 cents
yjjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you cant run a trutrac with the factory 2 piece vacuum disconnect, because the trutrac has no way of installing the c-clip retainer in the passenger side. The inner shaft will slide in and out of the carrier. All you have to do is purchase a 1 piece axle for the passenger side.
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #10
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodriguez View Post
you cant run a trutrac with the factory 2 piece vacuum disconnect, because the trutrac has no way of installing the c-clip retainer in the passenger side. The inner shaft will slide in and out of the carrier. All you have to do is purchase a 1 piece axle for the passenger side.
What c clip are you talking about here?
When I had the stock 30 in my YJ I had my axle shafts in and out many times but do not remember a c clip.
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

the inner pass has a circlip on it to stop it from floating out
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
the inner pass has a circlip on it to stop it from floating out
Where? At the diff?
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
95 Lowbuck

Must be the early ones because my '95 didn't have a "C" clip.
95 Lowbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 08:38 PM   #14
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Better yet give me a parts number.
http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jee.../axleYJ30F.php
Unread 03-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #15
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have also read about this C-Clip. However, neither the stock dana 30 that came with my 90 or the 94 Dana 30 I swapped in had a c-clip on either axle. Maybe it was 87-89????
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.