Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

truck plugs?

764 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  PaxtonTransAm 
#1 ·
has anyone tried the truck plugs from champion?im just wondering if i should switch back to the old regular champion plug or not. this morning jumped in raring to go to class and and started fine about five miles into it . started giving me crap. sputtering and loading up it seemed .probably the junk bbd carb but i dunno.i think bbd stands for back behind dumpster .

#3 ·
I too am running Champion 4412 plugs. Have been for about 3 years. Your problem might be the POS BBD carb.

Good luck
chris
g1

#4 ·
nutterbetter said:
has anyone tried the truck plugs from champion?im just wondering if i should switch back to the old regular champion plug or not. this morning jumped in raring to go to class and and started fine about five miles into it . started giving me crap. sputtering and loading up it seemed .probably the junk bbd carb but i dunno.i think bbd stands for back behind dumpster .
Well, was it pouring out the black smoke? If so, your choke was probablely stuck, which is a common ailment of the BBD. If it was stuck for a few miles, then likely you also fouled a plug. Check 'em both.

#5 ·
As far as plugs go, I used the new Bosch Platinum split plugs. They work great, haven't had any hesitation or misfiring that I can tell of. Just don't forget the dielectric grease. :)

#7 ·
nutterbetter said:
bosch belongs in bmw's and beetles i see too many of them returned where i work so i swear against them.
Well to each his own, I haven't had a single problem yet with them. Honestly if they are used in beamers I would assume they can't be all bad. Now if it was a kia or tempo.... hehe. Can't hurt to experiment with easily changeable hardware.

#9 ·
As far as I'm concerned a car plug and truck plug is the same thing, as long as they produce a strong spark it doesn't matter (unless you have some custom head with a different thread size tapped in). Maybe HIGH performance engines running extreme RPM and special fuel (premium plus gas only, methanol, etc) like a ferrari engine might need special plugs. Other than that the plug in a minivan or pickup should be the same thing (except obvious size differences) but the principle is the same.

#10 ·
CanukYJ said:
As far as I'm concerned a car plug and truck plug is the same thing, as long as they produce a strong spark it doesn't matter (unless you have some custom head with a different thread size tapped in). Maybe HIGH performance engines running extreme RPM and special fuel (premium plus gas only, methanol, etc) like a ferrari engine might need special plugs. Other than that the plug in a minivan or pickup should be the same thing (except obvious size differences) but the principle is the same.
Just outta curiosity, how many people now running "truck plugs" even had a plug problem before?

#11 ·
I put in the expensive bosch plugs once and had a miss, worked on them for a minute, still missed. So I took them back and got Delco's if I remember right (Im partial to them). I hear good things about them though..........

I think the truck plug thing is just a gimic. I don't like champion plugs anyway. Bottom line, if they work they work, if they don't change them. Im with exfherci, sounds like a choke issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.