Troubleshooting water under the dash, write-up, how-to...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Troubleshooting water under the dash, write-up, how-to......

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 11-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Troubleshooting water under the dash, write-up, how-to......

This thread is dedicated to helping those that want to figure out how/why their jeep seems to pee on them everytime it rains. In all seriousness, you can check where your leak is in about 5 min with a few simple tests running a hose over the jeep. The numbered steps below corespond with the numbers in the picture on where to start/check first.

Ok, time for the hose test. Run water over everything with someone watching the inside. Picture below.

1) Run water into the cowel intake.

2) If that doesn't leak, run water over the body seams around the front of the tub.

3) If no leaks, run water over the cowel seal along the windsheild/body joint.

4) If no leaks, run water over the hinge areas

5) If no leaks, run water over the lower windsheild then the upper part.

6) If no leaks, open the hood and check for water running down the firewall to any holes in it.

Now, how to fix what you have found:
1) Cowel Intake Leaks, Solution: Take a stick or long screwdriver and clean out the Drain tube inside the engine bay. Some say it helps to cut the last 1" off the end where it tapers to keep it from plugging up. Pictured below.

2)Body Seams Leak, Solution: Body Seam Sealer Picked mine up at napa for $18.90 but have since found it cheaper there.

I first took a wire brush and cleaned out the seams really good, then I followed with a green scrubby and soap/water. Let it air dry, hit it with an air hose for final cleaning and then applied the sealant.
You can hardly tell it has been applied.

I did discover one thing, it likes to run a bit. This stuff has the concistancy of hobby glue. It comes right off the paint with some work and leaves no marks. You can also paint right over it.

3) Cowel Seal Leaks, Solution:
A) Just buy a new seal. Usually under $35 at your local parts store
B) You can run a small bead of RTV down inside the lip of the seal as a temp fix, but this can be a PITA down the road when you finally replace the seal.

4) Hinges Leak, Solution: Back out the bolts and throw a small bead or RTV around the threads. (This is a rare leak)

5) Windsheild Leaks, Solution: This is the most expensive fix. Your gonna need to get the windsheild reinstalled. Under $100 at any good glass shop or you can search the net and try it yourself ( I do not recomend doing this yourself, but that is just my opinion).

6) Hood Seal Leaks, Solution: Replace it if you can but only thing I have seen is add some RTV to it. Cheap I know.

Obviously if your glass is cracked, that is a very likely source of the leak as well.

If after all this, you still have leaks, I throw my hands in the air on that one.

Good hunting gents.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Just about done gents. Hope this helps some of you.

-Rusty

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Good tips there Rusty.I would add only one thing though. If you're gonna seal the windshield/cowl seal ,don't just do the top. I had one leak from under neath also. You wouldn't think so ,but it does. After I sealed the top and checked it,the leak was coming from water bouncing up and pooling in the seal than subsequently leaking thru. You know that material as it gets old and dried out kinda resembles and acts like a sponge. I think that's also part of the problem. I guess just change 'em every few years or so huh? Again ,good tips to the new guys who are finding out what a fold down windshield is really all about!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
QuantumYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rusty.

I'm sure most people know but the cowl vent originally came with screening underneath. Some may have been lost or disintegrated over the years (mine was rusted). I went to the hardware store and got some of the vinyl screen for house windows, cut it neatly and affixed to the back side of the vent around the edge with silicone. Clean that drain tube on the firewall and you should have fewer problems in the future.
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
schizm99
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HAHAHA I thought I was the only one with wet shoes!
front lunch box lockers w/posi-lok
uniden cb, gt steering wheel, 4.10 gears
and anything else homemade
schizm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
T-Mack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

nice rite up and i did have a screen on yhe cowl and still managed to get a clogged hose
T-Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #7
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am guessing my leak is the cowl vent? water pours out onto the floor on the passenger side when i drive away, and sometimes if it has been raining a lot, i can hear the fan inside spinning in water. Good write-up though, I will have to check that drain tube
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #8
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My old 88 was leaking in thru the cowl seal .. eventually the dash started to show brown stains by the speakers, I took it apart and found this ..

[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^ that aint good. lol. Thanks Rusty.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

ouch!!! That looks painful!
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

And not wanting to put the frighteners up you guys .. but there was absolutely no sign from the outside.
The only reason I looked was I could see brown water stains running down by the speaker grills (worse on the passenger side).
I was gobsmacked when I uncovered this
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 03:45 PM   #12
trucknut
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i finally tracked down the last of the leaks for the ol Jeep! Cowel seal was to blame, I dont know where you are getting one for $35, priced one here in Canada and it was well over $200!! Yup well over $200 for a strip of rubber!!!! $5.99 for a tube of flowable silicone fixed it, its raining, just got home, and MY SHOES ARE DRY

My Save the YJ from the junkyard project...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-94-rebuild-thread-747404/

2001 Toyota Tundra TRD
trucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 05:50 PM   #13
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^ try quadratec.. http://www.quadratec.com/products/12501_11.htm $25. xD. that's what i got for my 87. the cowl was soo dry rotted.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2008, 07:33 AM   #14
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a cheap leak fix for you.
Mine used to leak on my feet only after a rain storm. Sometimes I would get in it after a rain and there would be a puddle in the floor, sometimes there wouldnt. But once I started driveing, as soon as I made a turn water would pour onto my feet.
Long story short, I found that the water was somehow leaking to the INSIDE of the windshield frame, and was pooling inside of it. Once you drove and made a turn, the water would spill out of the wiper linkage holes in the back of the frame. My cheap fix was to drill a hole on the bottom of the frame in the door jamb. That lets the water drain out untill I can save up enough to replace the frame.

Picture of where the hole is:

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #15
Meiacanthus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, you guys really know your stuff, and how to share your knowledge. This site is amazing.

Thank you so much, I know this is all gonna come in pretty handy for me.
Meiacanthus is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.