Trouble Removing My AX15 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trouble Removing My AX15

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI All,
We are not communicating. On my early AX15, the tranmission case and the bell housing are one piece.
Nope. Look for nine bolts inside the bell housing going through it into the trans. Where do you think the photos above came from? They are with the bell off. See the ring of holes? The upper photo still has the 9 big bolts hand spun in, besides the smaller bolts for the retainer.

Unread 06-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #17
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
I have never heard of the AX-15 and bell housing being a single unit. Can you post pictures?
X2 on the ax-15 ever having a bell housing that was one with the body, weird, but then again you also said you couldn't see the inspection plate bolts because they were covered in grease. Hey and easy on the hating there big fella, jeez.
Unread 06-09-2010, 03:46 PM   #18
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If the trans doesnt have a removable bellhousing its not an AX15 at all its a Peugeot BA-10/5. Peugot on the left ax15 on the right.

Unread 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyj94 View Post
If the trans doesnt have a removable bellhousing its not an AX15 at all its a Peugeot BA-10/5. Peugot on the left ax15 on the right.

You know I remember reading in a thread a while back here that There were BA-10's with non-removable housings
Unread 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM   #20
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI all,
I feel like a fool. You all are right. The bell housing is indeed separate. The tranny is so dirty that the seam between the tranny and the bell housing is invisible. However, the bolts inside the bell housing tell the truth just like you described.

I just got home from work and went immediately to the garage to check it out. I don't know about converting to an external slave. It looks like the bell housing would have to be replaced with one that could handle the additional clutch linkage, the external slave and a normal throwout bearing. Even so, it would be worthwhile.

So let me aplogize a thousand times. You guy's know what you are talking about and I'm still learning. I like to learn. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI all,
I feel like a fool. You all are right. The bell housing is indeed separate. The tranny is so dirty that the seam between the tranny and the bell housing is invisible. However, the bolts inside the bell housing tell the truth just like you described.

I just got home from work and went immediately to the garage to check it out. I don't know about converting to an external slave. It looks like the bell housing would have to be replaced with one that could handle the additional clutch linkage, the external slave and a normal throwout bearing. Even so, it would be worthwhile.

So let me aplogize a thousand times. You guy's know what you are talking about and I'm still learning. I like to learn. Thanks for putting up with me.

Sparky
Yes sir, I am pretty sure it was Don who originally pointed this out, but it really is a pretty easy conversion to the external slave. If you can do it, rebuild that ax-15 and convert, you have a nice spare or you can easily sell it, either way, you win. Plus, you get to do something really cool along the way, I love working on these things man! And I know you do too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.