trouble getting into gear from a stop - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trouble getting into gear from a stop

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 04-10-2007, 07:59 PM   #46
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yJ rod
Where does everyone get this redline tranny fluid? I've looked at Auto Zone and Advance and can't find it.

http://myoilshop.com/

ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #47
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjeep
ok that makes sense. it definately grinds when going into reverse. i have to try it a couple times just to get it in. it seems like it just started doing this after i replaced the fluid though. so how do i fix a dragging clutch? what exactly do you mean by a dragging clutch? thanks

If you are having reverse gear grinding it is NOT the fluid. At best changing the fluid will only mask the problem while you are still damaging your trans.

Dragging clutch can be linkage /master/slave in which case it can often be fixed from the outside. However if that does not do it, then it is the clutch disk, throughout, fork or pressure plate. The clutch must be removed to replace any of these items. it sucks but is better than trashing a good transmssion.

If you can't pin it down, I recommend you let someone with experience look at it.
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:30 PM   #48
platinumjeep

yes when you try to put it into reverse quickly, it grinds. if you move it in slowly, it does not. the guy that looked at it today said this is because reverse is not syncronized. does this sound right to everyone?
platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 08:38 PM   #49
longdecember

nope no sycros for reverse
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:10 PM   #50
trickle26
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I had very similar symptoms platniumjeep about a month ago and a new master cylinder cleared up the problem in my 94' AX15. I decided to go for it after some people on this board helped diagnose my similar symptoms. Not a bad project... Just mentioning it to you in case the problem gets worse. Mine finally left me stranded and I couldn't even get it into first gear.

I know you have heard it enough... but, another plug for Redline...I had no idea what the previous owner used for fluids in my YJ and I switched over the tranny to Redline MTL after I had driven it the first 400 miles. Much smoother shifts through all of the gears.
You can read up on Redline MTL here:
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_g...p?categoryID=7

summitt racing sells redline and was reasonably priced.
87' YJ Laredo
88' YJ Sahara
90' XJ Limited
trickle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2007, 09:40 PM   #51
ErikJordan
Pimp Hand

1995 YJ Wrangler 

i order mine on line.

What is all of this talk of Savvily designed products?
ErikJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 01:10 AM   #52
jcreelman

Clutch problem. Not fully releasing, so problems with master/slave cylinder, clutch linkage, clutch itself, or even oil on the disc will cause it not to release fully. Air in the system will cause it not to release. Changing the oil in the trans might make it easier to get into gear, but still does nothing for the not-fully-releasing clutch. Bleed it if possible, check all you can for leaks, bent/loose parts, then either take the clutch out yourself, or find someone who can.
jcreelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:07 AM   #53
platinumjeep

yea im still gonna look into it this weekend.
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:24 PM   #54
James04TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbager
I used the 75w-90 Gear Lube GL-5 from Amsoil...should I use something else
If you are using one of the 75w-90 GL-5's you are indeed using the wrong fluid. The ONLY AMSOIL product that is designed for use in the AX-5 and AX-15 is their Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 (MTG).
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 01:20 AM   #55
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcreelman
Clutch problem. Not fully releasing, so problems with master/slave cylinder, clutch linkage, clutch itself, or even oil on the disc will cause it not to release fully. Air in the system will cause it not to release. Changing the oil in the trans might make it easier to get into gear, but still does nothing for the not-fully-releasing clutch. Bleed it if possible, check all you can for leaks, bent/loose parts, then either take the clutch out yourself, or find someone who can.
I agree completely. There is a problem with your clutch, though it is one you can live with, which speaks highly of your tranny guy since he's obviously not trying to rip you off.

my '95 XJ with a supposedly new clutch installed by a shady trasmission shop has the same symptoms, in that the clutch drags if it heats up too much after a few stop and gos. After driving it a while I've learned how to compensate for it, and am not worried it will fail on me, but still it's not the way it's supposed to be.

My '87 YJ with the original clutch and hydrolics has none of the same symptoms my XJ has. If you can't drop the transmission and remove the clutch yourself I'd just deal with it until it's time for a new clutch.

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 08:58 PM   #56
eng4safd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Have a 95 yj w/ the exact problems and symptoms you are talking about. Usualy just come to a stop and keep the pedal stomped and it goes in to any gear w/ no problem. It only does it like you said when you come to a stop. Just change to moble 1 synthetic , shifts smoother but no cure for the probem. I think Im going to just adapt and overcome!!!
eng4safd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:33 PM   #57
trickle26
1994 YJ Wrangler 

^^^don't switch to Mobil 1 synthetic gear oil as stated above. This is GL-5 and you don't want this. GL3 or GL4 is what you should put in the tranny.
87' YJ Laredo
88' YJ Sahara
90' XJ Limited
trickle26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #58
platinumjeep

thanks for all the good info guys.

im swapping out my fluid for redline and bleeding my clutch master cylinder this weekend. If it doesnt clear up after that, im going to just deal with it until i need a new clutch. ive been driving it everyday and im getting good at compensating.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.