trouble getting into gear from a stop - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > trouble getting into gear from a stop

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #1
platinumjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 359
trouble getting into gear from a stop

i just bought a 93 yj with 53000 original miles. it shifts fine when moving, but if im at a light and go to put it into first (or any gear for that matter) its is very hard to get into gear. if i have the clutch in when i come to a stop, and then put it in first, it goes right in. what could it be. i dont think its the syncros because its hard to get into any gear from a stop. heres is my list of possible causes, tell me what you think.

clutch needs adjustment, or is low on hydraulic fluid (does my jeep have a cable or hydro clutch?)

tranny is low on fluid or needs fluid replaced

shift linkage is out of adjustment (how do i adjust it or can i adjust it?)

just looking for some help and ideas before i start working on it

thanks

platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
ufatbastehd
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nYc
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjeep
i just bought a 93 yj with 53000 original miles. it shifts fine when moving, but if im at a light and go to put it into first (or any gear for that matter) its is very hard to get into gear. if i have the clutch in when i come to a stop, and then put it in first, it goes right in. what could it be. i dont think its the syncros because its hard to get into any gear from a stop. heres is my list of possible causes, tell me what you think.

clutch needs adjustment, or is low on hydraulic fluid (does my jeep have a cable or hydro clutch?)

tranny is low on fluid or needs fluid replaced

shift linkage is out of adjustment (how do i adjust it or can i adjust it?)

just looking for some help and ideas before i start working on it

thanks

I've had this issue on and off for the past 4 yrs.
Whenever I change my tranny fluid it goes away after driving a few miles.
In my case I 'm assuming the fluid change is a temp fix.
I'm hoping to stretch this temp fix out as long as possible. Maybe another 4 yrs
I use redline in the tranny.
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
sprngrider
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: san diego
Posts: 930
synchros. try to give the engine more rpms before you shift and see if that helps. also change the fluid more often like ufatbastehd said
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Shenandoah
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 299
I had a simialr problem. My slave cylinder was leaking and had to be replaced.
Shenandoah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
platinumjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprngrider
synchros. try to give the engine more rpms before you shift and see if that helps. also change the fluid more often like ufatbastehd said

no im talking about going into gear from a dead stop. and i cant see how all 5 of my syncros are going out at the same time on a tranny with 53000 on it

im gonna start with changng the fluid and see if that helps
platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
Ustabearenegade
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 633
I think its the piolt bearing - it realy doesnt come into play at any other time when shifting other than a dead stop.
__________________
"Negative....I am a meat popsicle"
Ustabearenegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
kloppk
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , Massachusetts
Posts: 2,721
Check the fluid level in you clutch master cyl.
If it's very low or empty then you have a leak.
Top it off with brake fluid and bleed the system.
Now to find the leak...

Leaks usually occur in two places
1) Clutch Slave cyl. Look for fluid dripping from the bottom of the bel housing.

2) Clutch Master Cyl. Lokk for fluid leaking on the INSIDE of the jeep where the puch rod goes from the clutch pedal into the firewall.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 12:15 PM   #8
platinumjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 359
platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
ufatbastehd
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nYc
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjeep
no im talking about going into gear from a dead stop. and i cant see how all 5 of my syncros are going out at the same time on a tranny with 53000 on it

im gonna start with changng the fluid and see if that helps
That is exactly what I had, no leaks, master c fluids all OK
Tranny fluid change like I said helped.

Lets hope that's all you will need
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
platinumjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 359
ok today i replaced the tranny fluid with some fresh 75w90 oil. i buttoned everything back up and took it around the block, but the problem still persists. i only drive maybe a mile at most, so it may go away once i put a few miles on it, but i doubt it. i also checked the fluid in the clutch master cylinder, and it was exactly at the level where it should be. not sure how old it is though. so ive narrowed it down to this:

shift linkage needs adjusted
bad pilot bearing

how do i adjust the shift linkage, or can it even be adjusted

and to replace the pilot bearing you have to drop the tranny right? that means i have to drain all the fluid i just put in and fill it back up again (a MAJJJJOR pain in the ***)

any other ideas? im 99.9% sure its not syncros bc its hard to put it in any gear at a stop.

also, if i am rolling ever so slightly, it will go into any gear fine. another syptom of bad syncros, i know, but i really dont think it is. please help, **** lke this drives me crazy
platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #11
Jim93YJ
Member
 
Jim93YJ's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 525
I have a 93 YJ with a 2.5L with an AX5 with 50,000 miles on the transmission and am have just started having the EXACT same problem. I have Amsoil trans fluid.

I am curios as to what it could be too.
Jim93YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #12
ufatbastehd
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: nYc
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumjeep
ok today i replaced the tranny fluid with some fresh 75w90 oil. i buttoned everything back up and took it around the block, but the problem still persists. i only drive maybe a mile at most, so it may go away once i put a few miles on it, but i doubt it. i also checked the fluid in the clutch master cylinder, and it was exactly at the level where it should be. not sure how old it is though. so ive narrowed it down to this:

shift linkage needs adjusted
bad pilot bearing

how do i adjust the shift linkage, or can it even be adjusted

and to replace the pilot bearing you have to drop the tranny right? that means i have to drain all the fluid i just put in and fill it back up again (a MAJJJJOR pain in the ***)

any other ideas? im 99.9% sure its not syncros bc its hard to put it in any gear at a stop.

also, if i am rolling ever so slightly, it will go into any gear fine. another syptom of bad syncros, i know, but i really dont think it is. please help, **** lke this drives me crazy

Like I posted earlier when I changed my fluid the problem went away after a few miles were driven(bout a week or two) I only drive it 3-5 mi a day,

When you changed the fluid did you notice any metal shavings on the magnet?

Is the oil you put in a good synthetic tranny fluid?
I use Redline and my tranny shifting issues seem to always go away after an oil change. My rig is shifting smooth as butter now.

Good luck
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #13
platinumjeep
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 359
there were just a few small pieces of metal on the magnet, what i would call normal. barely even worth mentioning.

the tranny fluid that i used was a mid level fluid, not mobil 1 or redline or anything like that. i am a firm believer that they are all about the same, most are even made by the same company. many tests and write ups have proven this. so anyways, no i didnt drop money on top shelf tranny fluid. ill let you know how it goes after a few more miles. thanks for the help
platinumjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
camarkim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: San Gabriel, CA
Posts: 43
I have the same on my 93. I used Redline MT-90 and it got WAY better. Once in awhile it will still happen, but I can usually put it into second for a quick second then into first and it will then go. But mostly it's not a problem after the Redline went in.
__________________
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=Red]93 2.5L, 5SPD, BLACK, Basically stock[/COLOR][/FONT]
camarkim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 01:36 PM   #15
James04TJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbager
I have a 93 YJ with a 2.5L with an AX5 with 50,000 miles on the transmission and am have just started having the EXACT same problem. I have Amsoil trans fluid.

I am curios as to what it could be too.
What AMSOIL fluid are you using? I know a few folks run MTF (Synchromesh), AGL (80w-90), and the old series2000 in their AX-5 and 15's however the only AMSOIL fluid appropriate to these transmissions is the MTG Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube.
__________________
*2004 TJ (Mine)* 1984 CJ-7 Buggy Project (Mine)* 1977 CJ-7 (Hers)*2005 Nylint Crawler (The Kid's)
RedCell Motorsports
http://www.myspace.com/redcellmotorsports
James04TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.