Trip to Index Wall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trip to Index Wall

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!

Unread 07-16-2007, 11:12 AM   #1
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Trip to Index Wall

Went on an outing yesterday to Index Wall, just outside Goldbar, WA. Just my brothers '04 Rubie and me. First real good outing we've had in a while. I would have REALLY liked to have my 32s and front diff armor that are still in the mail for this!

I do have a question though. I have noticed before a type of rotational grinding noise when I am at steep to extreme angles in the Jeep. Mainly when I am going up something. Its definitly in rotation, you can hear the revolutions. I replaced the trans and front and rear axles about a month ago and the noise is no different. Any ideas on what it could be? It seems like its coming from the trans tunnel. Could the clutch make such noises (although I don't know why an angle would change anything with the clutch since its under pressure)? I can't recall exactly but I think if I put the clutch in it goes away (don't hit th clutch often on steep slopes). Any clue? Anyway, here are some photos

Chuggin through the forest

Anyone looking at Wrangler MT/Rs....my brothers 33" aired to 16psi

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Here is where the larger tires and diff armor would have come in handy the most. I got hung up a lot on the way back up this obstical on my rear diff casing, axle, and spring perches

Down:

UP:

Its not often we have someone along to take lots of pictures, so it was pretty fun to see the jeep in action

Anyway, enjoy

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice country....reminds me of Vancouver....looks like some rock stacking in the 6 pic from bottom tho......hmmmmm

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #4
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.
Unread 07-16-2007, 12:30 PM   #5
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper
nice country....reminds me of Vancouver....looks like some rock stacking in the 6 pic from bottom tho......hmmmmm

That was for the way down...

The Rubie didnt take the best route, he could continue forward and get some pretty bad rocker/body damage, was unable to back back up the rock face. So....we 'modified' the obstical slightly so he could get over without TOO much damage. Still scrapped the hell out of the stock sliders and diff casing

I never ended up touching those rocks actually . Well, maybe a little on the way back up

And it should remind you of good old van. Its only 'bout 100 miles south. Very pretty forests and FANTASTIC views!

This is the view off Index Wall. It overlooks the town of Index. Its at the very end of the trail which the last 100 yards of is now off limits to vehicles because people would go up there and dump crap over the edge . But you can still hike up there.

Its about a 500 ft cliff right where we're taking those pictures.

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:26 AM   #6
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Nobody experienced equal horrid vib/grinding?

Somehow it always seems to be the worse case scenario...so its probably something internal...I guess its time to start drilling new tranny mount holes in the skid to properly tie it down and troubleshoot this sucker

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
Mr YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Can't help with the vibe issues, but I will say if you're going to tackle anything more extreme than that [or even if the rocks get slick] tell your brother to air those tires down to 8PSI or so. 16 is way to high. Looks like some really good fun though. Taxing, but not to much.
92 YJ 2.5L 5sp manual trans. 4" lift with 33 X 12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja claws.
Rockhard cage, and SBC swap. Work in Progress
Mr YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #8
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Will he hold the bead on standard moabs with 33x1150s at 8psi?

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study
Unread 07-17-2007, 03:14 PM   #9
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr YJ
tell your brother to air those tires down to 8PSI or so. 16 is way to high. Looks like some really good fun though.
Don't have OBA (yet), so we have to air up at a gas station several miles down a heavily traveled 2 lane highway. I would not travel on a highway at 60mph on 4 33" tires with only 8psi. Even 8psi is a bit lower than necissary IMO.

And I figured I throw a couple more pics up:

Also Ares neglected to mention that his motor mounts are shot beyond belief, but even so the vibration was not previously present.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Ares
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
Also Ares neglected to mention that his motor mounts are shot beyond belief, but even so the vibration was not previously present.
Well....there stilll...intact. You just shouldn't be able to stick your finger through the top of them

On the to-do list for this week

Axle Information Thread
Oil Filter Study

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.