tried rustoleum with a brush. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 35 Old 08-22-2012, 02:07 PM
tdewit
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Interesting and some usefull information. So, 1SAS, what is the name of this paint brand? I did the military look as well on my Jeep, and with a professional paint, cost me less the $300, including primer, hardner etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 35 Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The current contractor is "Gillespe Coatings, Inc." (GCI). Look them up or look for a WWII Jeep parts or jeep surplus parts... they generally carry this brand. If you look them up on the internet, you should find "color swatches" for what they produce. Also they recommend using a synthetic hardener with the paint. One more thing, with my jeep since the colors were close enough and the new color was darker than the original color, I didn't use primer with my spray gun. I used Rustoleum Primer from a rattle can I picked up at Walmart. I wasn't even going to use that but some of my "grinding" projects sanded down to bare metal. Initially I was just going to scuff up the OEM paint, degrease it and go from there. I am sure it would have grabbed just fine. I think the synthetic hardener was $50 and it was enough for four gallons of paint. (I ordered four gallons when the cost was $25 a gallon. The cost is now $30 a gallon.) The reason I bought four gallons was for economy. To ship the paint to you, it requires a Hazard Material Fee/Tax of $80 per box. If you buy four gallons, it is shipped in one box and that fee/tax is divided up on four gallons. It is much cheaper in the long run, plus I don't mind the practice with the extra paint. I hope this helps.

Take care,

Check out "YJ V6 Conversion" if you want to see a frame up restoration of my 1992 YJ.

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
post #33 of 35 Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was looking at my photos in the previous posts and I should point something out. This was my first time spraying anything that wasn't a rattle can. I was going to practice on my flat bottom (John boat) but I really didn't want to take it all apart. I decided I would try on the bottom of the front fenders. It went very well, very smooth, nice shine and I was impressed. I let the fenders sit in the sun to bake and then made the mistake of shooting the paint on the top while the fender was hot. This paint mist dried immediately upon contact. It didn't "wash together" or spread nicely. It actually gave the finish a rough appearance... my daughters actually liked it for its "non glare" ability, but it wasn't the finish I was looking for. I need to wet sand it down and spray again. The inside of my hood came out perfect but the outside was a different story... The hood was resting against a tree on saw horses. I painted it and it was beautiful! Then I put down the spray gun, it slipped off the saw horses and we grabbed it to minimize damage to the paint. Unfortunately, some smudges were made and again, I haven't wet sanded yet. When all the body work is done, I will paint it all again. Then I will shoot some gloss over it and be done with it. I also have plenty of left over paint for future touch ups, if needed. Live and learn... but learn!

Take care,

Check out "YJ V6 Conversion" if you want to see a frame up restoration of my 1992 YJ.

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...

post #34 of 35 Old 08-22-2012, 08:26 PM
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Nice job, 1SAS.

Gillespie has good products.

The latest fad among military vehicle owners is to use plain old Behr paint from Home Depot - the water-based, exterior paint usually used on homes. It works best in flat and semi-gloss. It is the least expensive way you can go, and reportedly once cured is hard as nails. If you Google you can find the mix codes for various military colors. HD will, of course, mix whatever color you want. This is a good alternative for a work or trail Jeep. If the concept of 'wet sanding' maps to your Jeep, this paint is not for you.
post #35 of 35 Old 08-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Luuca
Typical /f12 Hooligan

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I put my money where my mouth is...

I took my daughter's jeep in to 1-Day here in Orange CA. They were helpful, friendly and cheap. Here are some quick pics of it when I picked it up today.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I'm planning on doing an autopsy on the paint job and posting the results, good or bad, with pics, within the next few days. Me? I'm extremely happy with the results. More to come...

91 YJ "Alice" 4.0L, AX-15, NP 231 Flange, Adams Driveshafts F/R, 2.5" OME 36Rs, 5/8" /f12 Booms, 32" Yoko ATs, 4.10 D30/35 AutoLockers F/R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
YJOTM Sept. 2017
05 LJ Rubicon "Ghost"

Luck Favours The Prepared

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.