tried jumping the battery and saw smoke - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > tried jumping the battery and saw smoke

Poison Spyder Ricochet RockersROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-14-2008, 09:12 PM   #1
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

tried jumping the battery and saw smoke

I'm hoping this is not going to hurt much, but...

I had a dead battery after leaving my lights on all day. I then tried jumping my jeep with my our dodge 3500 diesel. Next thing I see is smoke from the driver's side firewall. Immediately disconnected the jumper cables.

Then tried jumping it with our 92 f250, which did charge the battery (without smoke) but the engine wont start. I cranks but nothing more.

Also, I can't get any engine codes. After the sequence of on-off's I get a steady engine light.

Any ideas?

Valerie

blamejane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Brandon_YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Fried computer or something similar? (not up to par on computer controlled vehicles)
Please tell me you had the cables connected correctly, and not pos->pos / neg->neg
DISCLAIMER: I (usually) browse the web using Elinks in a (text only) terminal. Which means I do not have image viewing support. So if you get confused by my seemingly inability to comment on your pictures, emoticons, etc; now you know why.
If you're still confused click here to see how I view the forum.
Brandon_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

yeah cables were fine...

It seems so close to starting, but I'm guessing my PCM is now fried. I don't get why this would happen.
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

This happened when this girl was trying to jump her XJ in the parking lot. Her idiot boyfriend put the cables on the wrong ends and the batteries of both cars started to smoke, luckily no damage was done.

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
blamejane2
1995 YJ Wrangler 

the smoke definitely occured where the PCM is located, I'm just hoping that it won't need to be replaced. Anyone got experience replacing this? What about cost?
Unread 08-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
92yjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

same symptoms!! it like cranks and cranks but no start
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
kriv

Just had this happen to me.
kriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #8
77_waggy

Changing the PCM is not hard but they are not cheap. Call the dealer for a price and also try a local junk yard. By the way is there a fuse box where the smoke came from?
77_waggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
kriv

There is not a fuse box in the engine compartment. There is a fusebox that matches up with it on the interior of the car.
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #10
bkn1971
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A guy I worked with had the the same symptoms with his jeep and had a shop change his PCM and after about a month of messing with it the shop told him they no longer wanted to work on it so he had it towed home and started going thru the wiring leading to the PCM all it was for him was a corroded connection. I would check the fuses and the wiring in the area of the smoke before buying a new PCM.
bkn1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #11
kriv

Thanks bkn.
Unread 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
kriv

So I replaced the battery and 4 fuses that were blown out, traced the electrical, but couldnt find any more issues. That doesn't mean they aren't there, just that I couldn't find them. The jeep still will not start, but at least it isnt completely dead anymore. I guess it is time to order that pcm.
Unread 12-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
jmmorgan82

Had the same smoke issue happen to me. My no-start condition was caused by some pretty bad cables. After replacing those, it started right up and even though there was smoke, my Heep has had no issues.
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
Reddy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Disconnect your battery for several minutes, this will make the computer reset, reconnect it and try to start it.
Reddy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've seen them on ebay for 40 bucks.
Trust me, you are not the first, nor will you be the last. For the future, red jumpers to the battery and the blacks to the engine block and NOT the battery. If you get large sparks, check your connections and you will just damage the cables and nothing else.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.