Trickle charging dual batteries? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Trickle charging dual batteries?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Trickle charging dual batteries?

I am having an issue:
My jeep dual batteries are going dead by lack of use.

I need to add a trickle charger to it.

I have dual red top Optima batteries, set up as a battery back-up system. In that the batteries are used as a "main" and a "backup" or not really usedunless needed. All electrical needs are filled from the main battery unless I am winching when a switch will combine the batteries into 1 big battery, Another flip of the in cab switch(a 3 way switch) causes the main and the backup to switch positions.

The system involves:
2 red tops
Hellroaring Technologies BIC battery combiner and backup module. This thing sets near the batteries and looks every bit an RV isolator with extra things coming out it.

So...
I need to trickle charge the 2 batteries.
The Jeep is not getting driven enough to keep them charged.

Have decided on a solar charger. Amazon has some. Looking at about 7 to 15 watts, I do have 2 red tops to charge. 15 watts???

How would I hook up a pos and neg lead from a charger to charge BOTH batteries?

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
SeanB95YJ
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

since they're isolated from each other (if I read your description correctly) then get TWO solar trickles, and hook one to each battery.
Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
swap/build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...hread-1542284/
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sean is right.

My Jeep sits for one or two months sometimes. (don't really use it in the summer) and I have a crappy old battery. Always fires up. Sounds like you may have a larger than usual parasitic loss going on.
92 Sahara, 4.0 auto, OME, Bilstein, booms, 4:10's need bigger tires...
Chrisnvegas is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

What is the point of having one "starting battery" and a "backup?" Why not just wire them 12v and have all the cranking amps you want, all the time? Seems to me you could just buy another red top when the starting battery fails, instead of letting it die a slow death under the hood...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why not routinely swap house battery for cranking battery so they both get the same exercise. Or just wire them parallel. Seems like an over engineered under utilized electrical system.
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have A/C power available?
If so I'd just buy a pair of Battery Tenders.
They'll automatically turn on and off keeping the batteries fully charged without overcharging them like a trickle charger will.
You can get them for as little as $23 each.

I use them on my Jeep and my diesel pickup.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisnvegas View Post
Sean is right.

My Jeep sits for one or two months sometimes. (don't really use it in the summer) and I have a crappy old battery. Always fires up. Sounds like you may have a larger than usual parasitic loss going on.
Agreed.
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Toss the isolator and hook them up neg to neg and pos to pos and run it. You still have 12v and now double the amperage capacity. The overall "strength" of the system will be equalized by the weaker of the two batteries. Don`t care if they are red, yellow or blue tops.

For charging, one term of the charger goes to the neg of one battery and the other to the pos of the second. You can do that with simple wire for charging purposes if you don`t want to modify your cable/isolator set up. Not only my opinion but how Optima recommends things be done via their tech section on the web site.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #9
NHfireYJ
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

When / if you replace them... SEARS Platinum DieHards (same as Odyssey) . I use to run Optima, and their quality has dropped. Advantage of the Platinums / Odyssey, if you get both top and side terminal batteries, the side terminal is rated for full capacity where the optimas are not
BETTY...94 SE, Golen Stroker 4.6, RE 4" lift, 1" booms rear, 1/2" booms front, 1" BL, 35 12.5 15 GY MTR's Kevlar on 15 x 8, AA SYE w/ Woods shaft, D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD, 4.10, Smittybilt front and rear bumpers, Wildbuilt rock sliders, Cutom tire carrier w/ Jerry can, Hi-Lift, Smitybilt 8000lb winch, Ammo can consol, VHF & CB radio, Herculined, Neoprene seat covers, Hard /soft/ bikini tops.

HUMMER INTAKE. Click here.. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/

FEBRUARY 2013 YJOTM
NHfireYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I thought I would need 2 chargers.
Wrote the manufacturer of the battery isolator/combiner, Hellroaring, and asked them too.
They got back to me.
This is the response they sent. Good news. I only need 1 charger. A fairly big one, but one.

"Just connect it to the Main battery, and if it reaches above 13.4V at some point and holds above 13.2Vdc, then it will also charge the Backup battery. If it stays below 13.4V, then, it will trickle the Backup at a lower voltage unless you manually switch on the Remote switch."

Thanks all for helping.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

This is what I ended up buying.
An Instapark 10W Mono-crystalline Solar Panel with 12V Solar Charge Controller.
Amazon. $47 free shipping and tax...well, no.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.