Transmission Woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Woes

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valuePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 09-17-2001, 07:59 AM   #1
cobra54

Transmission Woes

I am new to this forum. In fact, I didn't discover the value of these forums until I started looking into buying my Cobra.

Anyway, I have a 93 YJ with about 86K on it. It's got the cheesy 2.5 4 banger with the cheesier AX5 transmission. Last week, without warning, 5th gear became a second neutral position for me. No clunk, thunk, whine, or grind. I just shifted into 5th and it just wasn't there.

I drive my YJ about 4 miles a day to and from work but on weekends, I drive it about 40 mile on paved road, and 2.5 mile on some of the roughest off road conditions in north Alabama. Off road, I am always in 4WD low range, and never above 2nd gear.

I don't really miss 5th gear. It's something I can do without as long as something didn't go wrong that will eventually affect the other gears. The YJ is otherwise in exceptionally good condition.

Any advice (short of junking it) will be appreciated.

01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC
cobra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2001, 07:55 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yikes! I know what you want to hear is not to sweat it since you don't need 5th anyway. But something ain't right and yes, it "could" cause other problems. The longer you wait, more likely the more damage it will cause. I do know some of them AX5s have a habit of coming apart. You might start shopping around for one somebody has swapped out. Either that or ya better start getting estimates.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2001, 12:11 PM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

My jeep is an automatic,but dont panic..I had a car that did the same thing. I replaced it with a used one much later. As long as there is no noise comming from the tranny itself you should be ok for a little while usally the other gears will start to act funny or start
doing the same thing. The best thing is to ask around for an honest transmission shop and see if it is a simple fix.If not start looking for a used one..
Unread 09-18-2001, 02:11 PM   #4
cobra54

Thanks for your responses. You're right - I really didn't want to hear that more problems in the trans will likely develop. I really can't afford taking the chance of it breaking down off road. I can't even call out on a cell phone from where I take it. I guess it's time to start shopping for repair or replacement. Thanks again for your advice.
01 Black Cobra 4.6L DOHC
02 ZX3 Focus 2.0L DOHC
cobra54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.