Transmission Whine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Whine

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-03-2004, 05:22 PM   #1
jo88gta

Transmission Whine

My 92, 5sp has been making a whining noise for a few weeks. When accelerating in 1,2,3 and 5th gears it whines. Let off the gas or push in the clutch it goes away. 4th seems fine and at this time the tranny is my best guess. Can the transfer case be at fault? Any other ideas?

All fuids are new and full. If it is the trans, should I do an upgrade of any kind?

Unread 03-03-2004, 07:10 PM   #2
TonkaToy

I've got a 93 5spd with the same problem. Mine is most pronounced in 1st and 2nd gear at lower speads, and just barely on the gas. (it's probably louder with more gas, but I imagine the whine is drowned out by engine noise/vibrations.

I don't have an answer, but wanted to throw out there, you're not the only one. Anyone with idea's on this on??
TonkaToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
jo88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaToy
I've got a 93 5spd with the same problem. Mine is most pronounced in 1st and 2nd gear at lower speads, and just barely on the gas. (it's probably louder with more gas, but I imagine the whine is drowned out by engine noise/vibrations.

I don't have an answer, but wanted to throw out there, you're not the only one. Anyone with idea's on this on??

How long have you had the problem? Has it gotten much worse since you first noticed it?
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
CanukYJ

Probably needs a rebuild, mine used to do that, syncro's were fried too but that's a diff prob all together, I had them rebuild the tranny and get NEW BEARINGS in all gears. Those bearings wear over time ESPECIALLY if at some point you had water in the tranny. Might need a bearing kit installed, considering the labour and price involved IF this is the problem I would either: have the syncro's done at the same time, might as well while yer in there, OR buy a rebuilt tranny with a warranty from an online store (cheaper). But this is just worst case scenerio. Don't wanna be a doomsayer or anything.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
CanukYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
jo88gta

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanukYJ
Probably needs a rebuild, mine used to do that, syncro's were fried too but that's a diff prob all together, I had them rebuild the tranny and get NEW BEARINGS in all gears. Those bearings wear over time ESPECIALLY if at some point you had water in the tranny. Might need a bearing kit installed, considering the labour and price involved IF this is the problem I would either: have the syncro's done at the same time, might as well while yer in there, OR buy a rebuilt tranny with a warranty from an online store (cheaper). But this is just worst case scenerio. Don't wanna be a doomsayer or anything.
What about picking one up from a junk yard? It there a stock upgrade if I'm looking at a used one? Thinking about selling the jeep at the end of summer.

THANKS!
Unread 03-04-2004, 09:56 AM   #6
CanukYJ

A junkers one can go 50\50. You will probably find one that is fine, or you will find one that is COMPLETELY blown up, or maybe has the same issue. A junker is always a gamble really. If they offer some sort of gurantee then it might be worth it.

1992 Red YJ. Lifted, locked, and loaded with beer (Disclaimer: This doesn't mean said driver endorses drinking and driving, please enjoy alcohol responsibly and do not operate any vehicle of any kind, thank you....)

Thanks to the price of gas here ($4.25 a gal) I just bought a mountain bike, 0" of lift, 0" of travel, MT's, locked rear axle, oh yeah, it's the sh#$.
Unread 03-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
TonkaToy

I've got 93k miles on it now. Bought it with 87k and she's been whining as long as I've owned her. I don't think it's gotten any worse over time though. I have taken the tranny completely under water during my offroad excusions.

How much should I expect to pay for a bearing and syncro job? Am I better off getting a rebuilt tranny instead. What's the downside to just leaving it as is for now? Will I be stranded along the side of the road, or stuck in 2nd gear?

Thanks.
TonkaToy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2004, 04:21 PM   #8
CanukYJ

Syncroís and bearings cost me approx 900$ Canadian all said and done. That was charges to my warranty though, and warranty charges (it was a used car warranty) tend to be a little less, kind of like contractor discount. So expect almost 1000$ at some places. What will happen? Itís a timebomb without a timer IF it is the bearings, could be 2 yrs, could be 2 miles and BANG chunks of tranny come apart, fly into other moving things, bang more chunks, those go into other moving things, bang bang bang, it tears itself apart. Goto the junkers, find a tranny thatís the same on a jeep, drain the fluid into a pan and make sure it has fluid and make sure the fluid did NOT have an water in it (let it separate in the pan). If there was fluid and no water, fluid doesnít smell burnt, push the shifter through all gears and then buy it for like 200$. Cheaper and a good solution if you plan on selling it anyways.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.