transmission or tcase issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission or tcase issue

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughHuge Soft top Sale

Unread 07-30-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
varent
1992 YJ Wrangler 

transmission or tcase issue

I have an issue with my four wheel drive that started this past week. when i am in 4hi or 4low and let the clutch out all the way it grinds and no power to wheels but if i barely let it out and just want to creep along it is fine. also in 2 wheel drive it is 100% fine. Im thinking it is my transfer case but before i start pulling it i wanna get some second oppinions on it. thanks in advance.

varent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
jeff_in_rc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would check to see if any of the bolts that hold the t-case shifter have come loose or fallen out first. Or it is out of adjustment. Check the simple stuff first in my book.
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like its half engaged. do what he said^^ my blazer does this cause i have to shift it through a hole in the floor by hand haha.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

X3 on Jeff's comment.

My t/c was slipping and it turned out that two of the three bolts that hold the shift lever to the tower were loose/missing. Sometimes it's the simple things that give us the most grief.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
varent
1992 YJ Wrangler 

update: i checked the linkage and it all seems tight, but i think we are onto something. it seems my 4wd is getting stuck half way engaged or something. my 4wd light will be on while im in 2wd and if i slam the shifter up and down it will eventually fully disengage. should i worry about driving it in 2wd as it is right now or should i park it for now and walk to work? what would be causing it to not really disengage all the way.
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked your fluid level?

Does your rig have any lift on it? The shifter could be hitting the cutout in the tub and not allowing it to fully engage/disengage.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:10 AM   #7
varent
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i will check my fluid level. i dont see why it would be all the sudden hitting the tub since its been lifted for the 4 years ive had it and it has never had this problem. unless i have some new sag going on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.