Transmission slipping or popping in 4th/5th gear..? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission slipping or popping in 4th/5th gear..?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-13-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
sarinalove
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission slipping or popping in 4th/5th gear..?

Hello everyone! We bought our 92 Wrangler this past May and shortly after started having an issue with the transmission. When in 4th and/or 5th gear it occasionally will slip or pop out of gear- it's sort of like when you run out of gas, all of a sudden the car just isn't engaging- I'm not any good with technical lingo so that's probably the best I can explain it. It typically does it shortly after we first start driving, and it's normally just at higher speeds (4th/5th gr), but it recently started doing it in 2nd/3rd gear. What do you think this could be? It is drivable but I think the problem might be getting worse- it seems like it mostly does it while the jeep is still getting warmed up or something. I've had one person say it may need a new trans and someone else say a new clutch? Please and thank you for any insight you may have!

sarinalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Read this, can't tell if you have a body lift, suspension lift, or anything from your profile, doubt its the clutch. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/transmission-slipping-out-gear-after-lift-9426/

Tags
gears , jeep , slipping , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.