transmission rebuild kit vs rebuilt purchase - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission rebuild kit vs rebuilt purchase

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 09-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Juggalo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

transmission rebuild kit vs rebuilt purchase

first thing i need to know is how do i tell exactly what kind of transmission do i have? i'm pretty sure its an ax-5. drain plug is on the bottom and fill plug is about half way up on the passenger side.

anyway-3rd gear started grinding real bad, drained fluid last night and drain plug was covered in shavings. also stuck my pinky finger in the case and pulled out grindings and small chunks of metal (not sure if its brass or steel).
struggling with buying a rebuilt tranny vs rebuilding my own. any thoughts or links to posts concerning this would be greatly appreciated.

2012-09-13-19.02.01.jpg   2012-09-13-19.03.02.jpg  
Juggalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You have the 4 cyl, unless someone has changed your trans, you should have AX5 as you say. Look at the intermediate plate (1 1/4 approx thick) between front case half and rear case. It will be cast iron on the AX 5 and alum on the AX 15. Look for rust, or stick a magnet to it. Same thing with the metal flecks. If it sticks to a magnet, it's ferrous and would come from gear/bearing, etc. If it doesn't stick then the particles would be brass as from a a synchro.

Confirm which trans you have, then price the rebuild kit, and price of Reman/shipping for a "new" AX15. Jasper just isn't too awful far from you. Also of course consider your skill-set and available tools (Press, bearing splitters) and your level of enthusiasm for rebuilding. It is not an incredibly difficult job, but can be satisfying.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
Juggalo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i wish i had thought to check the if the chunks on my pinky were steel before i wiped them away-but with that many shavings on the magnet on the plug-i would assume that i have more than just a damaged syncho-thus making me leery of getting a rebuild kit and rebuilding the tranny myself???
Unread 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There was no large bore carnage in there. Even if you had recognizable gear tooth chunks, the box is rebuildable still, so don't write it off. If you can afford Jeep downtime, then crack open the case and look it over. I would be willing to bet it is rebuildable, and you could be surprised at the gear carnage I have encountered in trannies that were still a simple case of a tear down and rebuild with new parts.
If you remain uncertain as to the model of your transmission, submit some photos and we'll tell you.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 09-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #5
Juggalo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Well that sounds encouraging. I drove it a little this afternoon after new fluid and putting the shifter back in. It still does the same thing grinding real bad in third but otherwise it is fine. it is not my daily driver so I can crack it and take some time with it so that may just be the way to go.
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
Juggalo
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well transmission is out and a gear on the output shaft has a little slop/play in it. there is some scoring on the shafts as well. looks like it may have been run with water in it for a while. also, shifter forks have some wear on them as well. syncho for third gear was toast hence the grinding in 3rd. all gear teeth look ok. i guess my question is should i rebuild it with the issues with gear slop and shaft scoring?
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
87yjrad
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I rebuilt my AX15 last year. Basically found two used ones, tore them both down and put one back together with parts from both. It may be less expensive for you to find another used one for a few hundred dollars. Synchros are cheap but gears and forks and shafts get expensive really fast. I would still do the rebuild myself, its just not that hard. Find a press on craigslist or buy a cheap one from harbor freight. You could take it to a rebuilder but they are going to want to put all brand new parts in, I would too if I did it for a living. You can do it. Here is a step by step for a AX15, the AX5 is very similar, http://www.4wdmechanix.com/Moses-Lud...nspection.html
87yjrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Mean Max did a real good write up rebuilding an AX-15 you can view here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1032480/

You can see the pics in larger form, which is nice. I never rebuilt a tranny before in my life and was able to follow Max's write-up when I did mine last year.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87yjrad View Post
........Find a press on craigslist or buy a cheap one from harbor freight......[/URL]

Or just round up some steel and tools and build your own shop press for the cost of the jack and the springs/bolts/nuts.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.