Transmission Rebuild - 5th won't budge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Rebuild - 5th won't budge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 08-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission Rebuild - 5th won't budge

Rebuilding an AX-15, I'm to the part where you try to use a two-jaw puller to loosen up the fifth spline gear by placing the jaws behind the fifth counter gear. The darn thing just won't budge, this is a big puller, I've got a large breaker bar on the end and have so much pressure that the rod on the puller is starting to deform, and the gear is still just laughing at me. Has anybody attempted this before have any ideas on how to get this gear off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes the snap ring is off.

twomanyjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:00 PM   #2
dave_dj1
2001 TJ Wrangler 

impact gun?
Unread 08-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomanyjeeps View Post
Rebuilding an AX-15, I'm to the part where you try to use a two-jaw puller to loosen up the fifth spline gear by placing the jaws behind the fifth counter gear. The darn thing just won't budge, this is a big puller, I've got a large breaker bar on the end and have so much pressure that the rod on the puller is starting to deform, and the gear is still just laughing at me. Has anybody attempted this before have any ideas on how to get this gear off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And yes the snap ring is off.
Did you remove the snap ring?
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, I removed the snap ring...I thought about using the impact gun, but like I said after using the breaker bar, I had so much force on the puller that the very tip of the rod on the puller was starting to deform. I'm afraid to put to much more force on it for fear of flying parts. I'm also not sure how gentle I should be with this. Or just get a bigger puller, but the one I have is just as big as what is portrayed in the manual.
Unread 08-17-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got a puller set from Harbor Freight that has multiple sized bolts and thread counts. I bolted it into the two threaded holes in that pressed-on gear. Then I used an impact wrench on that. The part the wrench is working on pushes directly into the end of the shaft while pulling on the bolts. To me it kind of looks like a steering wheel puller. It seemed to work much easier than the one like you have. If I remember right, I might have had to use a breaker bar to loosen it the first time.

Here it is: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37824
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #6
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good deal, I'll try that as soon as I can...If I can pry even further, how did the rest of the rebuild go for you?
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:18 AM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Here's what my FSM says to do for a '95 AX-15 tranny. Grab these pics ASAP:
http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/...ar_removal.htm
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:31 AM   #8
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That is the same manual I'm using, the method in figure 31 isn't working, I like the other idea as there is two threaded holes on the spline gear. This way the force is applied directly to the gear instead of using the puller to move the whole assembly.
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is the same manual I'm using, the method in figure 31 isn't working, I like the other idea as there is two threaded holes on the spline gear. This way the force is applied directly to the gear instead of using the puller to move the whole assembly.
Do you mean FIG 32?? In any event, try tightening up the gear puller as much as possible then hitting the gear puller on the part where the socket goes with a BFH. Protect the end from mushrooming over with a socket and piece of board. The impact may pop it off.
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

There is a two piece bearing assembly used on the 5th gear. I wonder if it is frozen onto the shaft from wear/friction and the inside of the 5th gear? Unless you 'welded' the 2 piece bearing onto the shaft/gear, using the BFH to pop it loose should work.
Unread 08-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yea when I rebuilt mine. I just threaded two bolts into the holes and used a harmonic balancer puller. Came right off. Dont know why yours is so tight.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
lah2420
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good deal, I'll try that as soon as I can...If I can pry even further, how did the rest of the rebuild go for you?
My main problem was getting the bearing off so I could remove 1st gear. You do have to use 1st to pull that bearing. It also put a 25 ton press to the limits to remove and reinstall the bearing. Down side was that I broke some teeth on first doing it. I had a mechanic say to use a couple of pieces of flat aluminum plate to go between the gear and whatever you use to press the gear off. I didn't.
lah2420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2008, 08:36 PM   #13
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing has worked...Not the harmonic balance, not the tough love with the impact wrench and the hammer. I'm just going to take the guts to the shop and see if they can loosen up the 5th gear and the bearing infront of 1st.
Unread 08-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #14
twomanyjeeps
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Went to an automotive machine shop this morning and they were able to get it off using the harmonic balance puller type (the one I had from harbour frieght just wasn't cutting the mustard) but the gear fought every bit of the way. Looking at it now, there is several thousands of an interference fit between the shaft and the gear. I'm not sure which one is out of tolerance.
Unread 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #15
waif69
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem this weekend, we actually broke the gear puller. After that we took it to the dealership and they got it pulled on Monday. Now to get to the rest of it. I don't want to take a day off work though.
waif69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.