Transmission question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission question

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #1
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission question

I see a Tranny for a TJ 4 cylinder Jeep listed on Craigslist for $450, not sure what all comes with it or how many miles on it.... Will it fit into my '92 to replace the one in it with worn synchros?? If its not a straight bolt-in replacement, what would I have to do to use it??

EDIT: its out of a 2002

flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It is not the same, but you should consider it to be an upgrade. This version AX5 will be external clutch slave style, with a long snout input bearing retainer. If you are getting the bellhousing with this tranny, it will be good. Swap out the entire thing, and get a new clutch hydraulic system master/slave/hose and bolt it all up. If you aren't getting the bellhousing, you can put your old style flat faced input bearing retainer on it and retain your cursed internal slave but why someone would do this I can't imagine.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sent an e-mail asking what it came with, bellhousing, clutch parts, etc... How many miles?? Waiting for reply.

Would this bolt right up to my existing transfer case also?? If its the same ax5, it should right??
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it should.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flcracker View Post
Sent an e-mail asking what it came with, bellhousing, clutch parts, etc... How many miles?? Waiting for reply.

Would this bolt right up to my existing transfer case also?? If its the same ax5, it should right??
The only clutch part you'd really care to have would be the clutch fork. I didn't mention that earlier. Any clutch parts such as clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc would all be worn parts and shouldn't be used. It is not very likely though that the clutch fork would come with this, but they are cheap and are carried at parts stores, and online places like quadratec, etc. They are the same for the AX15 as well as the AX5 (same part number). Let us know what response you get from the Craigslist seller, see if he'll send you photos you can link up here. Pictures are worth.......well, they're worth a lot.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #6
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
The only clutch part you'd really care to have would be the clutch fork. I didn't mention that earlier. Any clutch parts such as clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing etc would all be worn parts and shouldn't be used. It is not very likely though that the clutch fork would come with this, but they are cheap and are carried at parts stores, and online places like quadratec, etc. They are the same for the AX15 as well as the AX5 (same part number). Let us know what response you get from the Craigslist seller, see if he'll send you photos you can link up here. Pictures are worth.......well, they're worth a lot.
Wasn't thinking about the wear parts as much as any hydraulics that might come with it.... and no reply yet....
Unread 12-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #7
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Isn't it amazing that people put stuff up on CL, and take days to get back to a response to their ad, or not at all. Or don't pull their ad once it sells.......

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Another e-mail sent... maybe I can get an answer this time??
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Almost forgot about this thread and started another.... anyway, I found a new ad for the 02 tranny with phone number but also found this AX15 with transfer case on craigslist from 1990 (read internal slave) wrangler for $300 here:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/pts/3483042806.html

Here is the ad for the 02 AX5 freshly rebuilt with bellhousing and slave for $450 here:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/pts/3457700389.html

I know I have to do some engineering with the ax15 and I've never dove into the guts of a transmission or transfer case before and the ax5 will require some changes in the clutch system....

not a hardcore wheeler and will likely spend most of its time on trails or maybe a little mud if we decide to get the right tires for it.

Suggestions??
Unread 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Remember the AX15 won't be a direct bolt in. You will need to get a 4 cyl Dodge Dakota bellhousing that came with an AX 15 to be able to bolt this up to your 2.5, and it may be difficult to find that bellhousing as there is no market glut on that particular part. Likely will be easier for you to work with the AX 5 even though it is a weaker tranny (but it's what you're running right now anyway) than to come up with a rare/vintage bellhousing so you can use the AX15, and you will have to come up with some modifications to your T case so it would bolt up with your "new" AX15 setup.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #11
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

What kind of master/hyd line/slave cylinder would I want to go with?? If I read it right there are different parts listed for the '02 and late YJ with slave....

I knew I would need a lot more than just a Dakota bellhousing for the AX15 (although I did locate one not that far away on car-parts.com) I really don't want to dive into the Transfer Case either.
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Were you to go with the 2002 AX5, you would get a clutch assembly for a 94/5 Jeep. You would get a clutch master/hose/slave for a 94/5 Jeep, and you'd stick with your year flywheel for your Jeep. The TJ clutch master is a lot longer, it also has a clutch safety switch built into it so it is not compatible with your year Jeep.

This would be all predicated on getting the 2002 bellhousing as well and making the conversion to an external slave. Were you to just get the trans, and bolt it to your existing internal slave bellhousing, then you would stick with all components for your year Jeep.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #13
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Were you to go with the 2002 AX5, you would get a clutch assembly for a 94/5 Jeep. You would get a clutch master/hose/slave for a 94/5 Jeep, and you'd stick with your year flywheel for your Jeep. The TJ clutch master is a lot longer, it also has a clutch safety switch built into it so it is not compatible with your year Jeep.

This would be all predicated on getting the 2002 bellhousing as well and making the conversion to an external slave. Were you to just get the trans, and bolt it to your existing internal slave bellhousing, then you would stick with all components for your year Jeep.
Talked to the guy on the phone and he bought it for his Jeep not knowing there was a difference between the 6 cylinder trans and the 4 banger.... it was rebuilt and comes with bellousing and the slave cylinder...

Right now, its just sitting there and he can't use it. Apparently, there isn't that much of a market for these down here
Unread 12-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Buy it. Install it, smile and drink beer.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

recommendations on a clutch?? I need to keep cost down on my teacher salary....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.