Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission problems

2K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  blue89wrangler 
#1 ·
I tried posting in the drivetrain forum, and got no responses. maybe i'll have better luck here.

1989 YJ with 4.2L and 3 Speed

My jeep won't shift out of second. i did a filter change and it shifts perfectly into second but won't go out of it. and it seems to take a little while to engage in reverse.

if it's ruined would a transmission from a newer jeep with a 4.0 liter bolt up to the motor and transfer case??

thanks for the help

#2 ·
I tried posting in the drivetrain forum, and got no responses. maybe i'll have better luck here.

My jeep won't shift out of second. i did a filter change and it shifts perfectly into second but won't go out of it. and it seems to take a little while to engage in reverse.

if it's ruined would a transmission from a newer jeep with a 4.0 liter bolt up to the motor and transfer case??

thanks for the help
As far as I know, only an automatic from a YJ (of any year) will be a direct swap. The YJ uses a TF999 which is a 3 speed with no lockup convertor. The AW4 (found in similar year XJs, ZJs & MJs) would need some input for the lockup convertor feature.

Anybody able to confirm/deny this info? :confused:

Max :cheers2:

#4 ·
I'm sure it can/has be/been done before, it's just not a straight swap.

Max

#6 ·
I run a TF999 in my YJ. To me it sounds like you have done the basics on trouble shooting. How many miles on tranny? Was the fluid bad when changed? Was there a ton of metal in the bottom of the pan when you took it out.? The magnet in covered in metal? If you had any or all of these I would say the tranny has seen better days and it is in need of a rebuild.....

#7 ·
115,000 miles. the fluid was as expected. probably a little burnt. magnet was covered in goop, yes. no large metal shards. it just seems weird that it would go from perfect to needing rebuilt just like that. it didn't slip or anything. then it just stopped shifting into third.

#8 ·

thanks for the help
Sounds like there is not enough fluid in it. Not familiar with the jeep automatics, but have dealt much with the turbo 350 auto. When they are low on fluid, they won't shift properly. Also, after you fill them to level, need to run and shift them to pump the fluid around, then check the level again. Don't want to overfill though. Did you pull the pan for the filter change? did you put a new gasket on the filter?

#9 ·
the old filter was pitch black. even if i held it up to my work light i couldn't see anything trhough it. i figured that it would start working after i put a new filter and fluid in it. but i was wrong. i have put about 150 miles on it. and it still won't shift. the fluid level is right. it's just not shifting...

how come all the other sites i have seen say that it has a 904 or 909 transmission in it?

i was thinking about trying to rebuild it myself. where would i get a rebuild kit from it?

#11 ·
the old filter was pitch black. even if i held it up to my work light i couldn't see anything trhough it. i figured that it would start working after i put a new filter and fluid in it. but i was wrong. i have put about 150 miles on it. and it still won't shift. the fluid level is right. it's just not shifting...

how come all the other sites i have seen say that it has a 904 or 909 transmission in it?

i was thinking about trying to rebuild it myself. where would i get a rebuild kit from it?
The 904 or 909 may be the same tranny, just different title for different vehicles...not sure.

Rebuild kits are probably available at the dealership......is that tranny original? stock?

Auto tranny's are pretty easy to rebuild. Haven't done one in years though. Also want to make sure you get a new pump for it if you go that way.

#10 ·
Search the internet for the rebuild kits. I bet you will find one there for your tranny.

It sounds like your synchros are going to me. I just rebuilt my AX-15 for the same problem, but mine was in 3rd gear. They do wear out after time.

#13 ·
Make sure you have two areas set up next to your tranny as you do the build:

One spot to place all your tranny parts IN ORDER as you pull them out.
(keep everything in the order pulled)

Another spot to place all your new parts (clutch plates) IN ORDER they go in.
(compare to old parts pulled before install)

Hope this helps out.......and ......read, read, read up on it before you start.

#15 ·
#18 ·
I would consult a parts house, but IIRC the rebuild kit is the same for the:
1) TF904/30RH
2) TF999/32RH
3) TF727

But I could be wrong.

I have a friend that owns a transmission shop here in town, I will give him a call tomorrow & get back to you on this.

Max :cheers2:

#20 ·
Glad to help!

Max

#23 ·
I got this from Bart over at www.drivetrain.com:

According to our information your transmission is also referred to as a A904 if that's the case we recommend our super kit (less steels) part number TRS12007CF
fits 72-98 $109.00 plus

#25 ·
I got that info from them the beginning of this week so it's pretty current. I just had to contact them directly.

#28 ·
hmmm well i'll deffinately give that a shot. because the transmission worked perfect then. i took it off roadin. when i got back on the pavement. only 1st and 2nd worked. so if thats all it is. then i'll be all set because the transmission WAS in good shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.