transmission problem with 1993 yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission problem with 1993 yj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

transmission problem with 1993 yj

Hi guys, so long story short, my jeep was at a mechanic for a few days for a transmission leak. This sucks because this tranny is only 6 months old! Anyways when I got it back it developed a god-awful chipmunk squeak that is coming from my transmission(not my transfer case as I say in the video... So any help on identifying the noise would be greatly appreciated!

Unread 01-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

What part was leaking? Maybe that HUGH t-case drop has something to do with it.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
What part was leaking? Maybe that HUGH t-case drop has something to do with it.
Yeah it's not as big as it looks in the video and the part where the transmission housing meets the t-case... There is a hairline crack in the tranny housing so Mr.mechanic said it needs to be replaced
Unread 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

There is or was a crack? Maybe he didn't get a seal put back in properly. Can you take it back to him and say hey your repair is leaking?
Unread 01-11-2014, 01:28 AM   #5
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is or was a crack? Maybe he didn't get a seal put back in properly. Can you take it back to him and say hey your repair is leaking?
There is a crack right now. Only problem is the guy who did the tranny is a 2 and a half hour round trip away and I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't need to be fixed (ex. Whole transmission housing) for the mean time I can deal with a small leak. What I can't deal with is the loud squeaking noise that current mehanic caused when trying to repair said leak. So I want to fix it myself or know what it is so I don't get screwed! And thanks for responding this is my first thread on jeep forum and it's good that theres guys that will help out with questions like this
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:49 AM   #6
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

exhaust or tranny mount movement? It doesn't sound internal, especially the way it sounded when you shut it down.
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #7
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's not the tcase or tranny. Sounds like a loose exhaust system or the exhaust system rubbing somewhere.
Just go under the jeep and start to wiggle the exhaust and find the squeak.
FYI - Nothing is moving in the tcase with the tranny in neutral so it's definitely not that.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:33 AM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCwheelin View Post
There is a crack right now. Only problem is the guy who did the tranny is a 2 and a half hour round trip away and I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't need to be fixed (ex. Whole transmission housing) for the mean time I can deal with a small leak. What I can't deal with is the loud squeaking noise that current mehanic caused when trying to repair said leak. So I want to fix it myself or know what it is so I don't get screwed! And thanks for responding this is my first thread on jeep forum and it's good that theres guys that will help out with questions like this
May want to get under the JEEP and spray small areas with WD-40 to find the noise. Then that will help determine how to fix it for good. Like you, I hate squeaks and will do anything to get rid of them. Good Luck finding it.
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
Jeepsr4me

Sounds like the heat shield rubbing on something.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

May want to get under the JEEP and spray small areas with WD-40 to find the noise. Then that will help determine how to fix it for good. Like you, I hate squeaks and will do anything to get rid of them. Good Luck finding it.
Alright I'll try my best, thanks
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:44 AM   #11
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright I'll try my best, thanks
Please keep us informed with what you find.
Unread 01-11-2014, 11:48 AM   #12
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Now that I have a speaker hooked up so I can hear the noise. Sounds like the shifter hitting something, Duh!. Should be real easy to find since it does it with the engine off. Just get a buddy to sit in the JEEP and have him keep moving the shifter around to make the noise and you get under there and pinpoint where it's coming from. Don't forget the WD-40.
Unread 01-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
RCwheelin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Now that I have a speaker hooked up so I can hear the noise. Sounds like the shifter hitting something, Duh!. Should be real easy to find since it does it with the engine off. Just get a buddy to sit in the JEEP and have him keep moving the shifter around to make the noise and you get under there and pinpoint where it's coming from. Don't forget the WD-40.
Found it! Not even the transmission it was a broken mount for my exhaust pipe... The bushing for the mount dry rotted so I zip-tied it for a quick fix until I get a new mount. Thanks guys i really appreciate the help!
Unread 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #14
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Found it! Not even the transmission it was a broken mount for my exhaust pipe... The bushing for the mount dry rotted so I zip-tied it for a quick fix until I get a new mount. Thanks guys i really appreciate the help!
Glad you found it, Good Job.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.