Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transmission Plug Issue

938 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  tommanns 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Well, I've owned my YJ for a few months now, and unfortunately I've come to the realization that there are a number of repairs that need to be made.
Recently, I've learned that the rear engine seal is busted, so I've had to change the engine oil pretty much monthly... not fun. But apart from that, I decided that after today's oil transfusion I should go and spread some love to the transmission.
Here's the problem - the side plug (not sure what its called), the one you actually put the gear oil in, has a completely stripped head.
Now, I've formulated a way to remove the plug, (either a vice grip, or tapping a groove into it and taking a screwdriver to the thing), but I'm afraid that upon doing this I'm probably going to screw the threads up. Well, even if I don't I'd like to just replace the thing so I don't have to go through this again.
So! First off, what's this part called? Secondly, does anyone know a good place to get a replacement online? It's an AX-5 manual trans on a 2.5l, '95 YJ.

Also, if anyone can point me in the direct of a good GL-3,4 gear oil, I'd really appreciate it. I've heard all nasty things about GL-5's, and unfortunately that's all I've found locally.

Thanks again!

See less See more
#4 ·
This is what I did and it cost me under a $1. After Merchant's Automotive took a cold chisel to my plug and ruined it, I took it out went down to a local autoparts store and matched up the threads.... now look how easy it is to get out next time I want to check the level in my trans :)

Attachments

#6 ·
Thank you all!
I ended up getting a replacement bolt, and some Mopar gear oil. It was unfortunately the most expensive oil I have ever bought... $15 a quart. But for some reason I was only able to get about 3 qts of oil in the tranny... any ideas why? it was gushing out the check plug...

#7 ·
The trans only holds about 3.5 quarts and that Mopar gear oil is nothing more than $15 a quart 10W40 motor oil.
Should of went to NAPA and got a gallon of GL-4 for $20 you could have saved $40
Most people think I'm full of it and most times I am but on this issue I spent a month researching the GL-4/5 thing and I learned quite a lot.
In the end I went with the NAPA GL-4 for my AX-5 because it's what is supposed to be in it and I wasn't gonna take a chance on the latest greatest (Redline,Amsoil) just because the company that sells it says it is.

#8 ·
If indeed the mopar oil you got is just engine oil, do not drive the jeep until you get some proper GEAR oil in there. If the mopar is indeed GEAR oil, (check the bottle) it will say if it is GL4 or GL5. GL5 is the more common nowadays, and will erode the syncros in your tranny faster than the GL4 specified, however, you should be OK with GL5 for a week or two, until you can change it.

But if Pat is correct, and it is MOTOR oil, don't drive the jeep until you replace it with the proper GEAR oil, unless you feel like buying a new transmission in the next couple of weeks...

#9 · (Edited)
I got the part number during some research and I found that the recommended oil was Part number 4897622aa but that was superceded by part number 4761839AC.
4761839AC is 10W30 Oil!!!! Chrysler is recommending 10W30 for the AX-5 / AX-15
They don't really care as most AX series trannys are out of warranty but GL-4 is your best bet.
The owners manual and most Haynes/Chilton Manuals list the fluid as GL-5 because the original manual had a typo it was supposed to be GL-4 but that never changed in anything except the real field mechanic FSM so nobody knew and you can bet Chrysler was betting they would last until the warranty expired.
I'm shuttin' up now

#10 ·
No Worries

Hey guys, sorry to leave you hanging, but no it's not motor oil, it's 75W-90 gear oil, GL-3 at that. And sorry to not mention it (was a little drunk when I replied yesterday haha) but I did try NAPA first and they only had GL-5 =/ Thanks for all of your suggestions though!

#11 ·
Oh and I did figure out the mysteriously low oil issue - turns out that I wasn't actually filling it quite all the way, that stuff is so thick that it had crept up the sides and started to trickle out the check plug hole. Thankfully I realized this after only driving maybe 5 miles on it. But again, thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.