Transmission Mount Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Mount Replacement

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-15-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission Mount Replacement

Fellow JF member WhatsWrong needed his transmission mount replaced, so when he came over today to replace it I took a few pics along the way.
It's a fairly easy, straight-forward repair that can be done pretty easily & quickly.

First we got a new polyurethane mount.

The we removed the 2 transmission mount nuts & the nut from the torque arm stud.

We jacked up on the transmission pan enough to lift the weight off of the skid plate & placed a jackstand under the output shaft housing to hold everything up.
Here you can see the old rubber mount that uses 2 studs with nuts on them to attach to the skid plate.
The old mount wasn't broken, but due to a leaking automatic transmission pan it had become soft and collapsed, allowing the T-case to contact the skid plate.

The 2 nuts & bolts the held the OE rubber mount to the bracket on the transfer case were reused, and here you can see how much "taller" the new polyurethane mount is.

We reinstalled the skid plate and the torque arm stud nut. Notice how the new mount uses bolts through the skid plate, as opposed to the OE studs & nuts.
This makes for a lot "cleaner" skid plate with at least 2 fewer things to hang up on stuff!

Also, notice how much clearance there is between the skid plate & transfer case!
If yours is touching the skid plate or within a 1/2" or so of touching it, you should consider this repair!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's a great one, I mean it's not complicated at all but it should give the extra push for those out there afraid of messing up everything, BRAVO Max. BTW you lucky guy, you got no rust on your skid plate bolts....
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
Renegade88
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I put the same mount in 2 months ago, lovin' it.

PanhandlePierFishing.com
Renegade88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:03 AM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDGBASSE View Post
That's a great one, I mean it's not complicated at all but it should give the extra push for those out there afraid of messing up everything, BRAVO Max. BTW you lucky guy, you got no rust on your skid plate bolts....
Actually, it's not my Jeep. The owner is a fellow JF member & friend (link to his profile in OP) and his Jeep is in near perfect condition! It's one of the cleanest YJs I've seen in a long time!

Surprisingly though, the skid plate bolts in mine & my wife's YJs are in good shape too!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 11-16-2009, 01:27 AM   #5
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

man i need to find some people in my area to get or offer help... flordia is looking mighty good in those pics.. jersey is pretty unpleasing right now
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Surprisingly though, the skid plate bolts in mine & my wife's YJs are in good shape too!

Max

I've drug mine over all kinds of stuff and the bolts are in perfect condition too.

Quite a while ago someone was having troubles finding that mount and when I told them it was the same as a Chevy mount they didn't believe me..... I'm saving this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
[/CENTER]
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #7
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the pics Max, I go the same mount from Morris week before last because of you. I have the new muffler and insulator bolt also. Going in this week to change it all out.
And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Woop woop, that was a good day! Awesome guide Max ! Thanks for the compliment on the no rust on my skidplate SGD.

edit: Good pictures
[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]

Last edited by DirtyJeepBoy; 11-16-2009 at 05:38 PM..
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did your friend buy mount at a local parts store or order it? How much $ ?

Thx
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpr View Post
Did your friend buy mount at a local parts store or order it? How much $ ?

Thx
Funny story.

Actually I bought it a while back at an AutoZone Parts store for about $22 or so. I had planned on putting it in my '91 YJ while I was rebuilding my AX-15, but I misplaced it.

My old rubber one wasn't too bad so I left it in. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this new one, so I used it in his '93 and he is going to get me another one later on.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-16-2009, 08:09 PM   #11
bpr
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You misplace stuff too? Sounds like me man !
bpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So you have to remove the cross member?

I live in Lakeland, FL - maybe I could come to Stuart for some guidance on doing mine.
Unread 11-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryris View Post
So you have to remove the cross member?

I live in Lakeland, FL - maybe I could come to Stuart for some guidance on doing mine.
If you mean the skid plate, yes it must be removed.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 11-17-2009, 07:27 PM   #14
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My old rubber one wasn't too bad so I left it in. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across this new one, so I used it in his '93 and he is going to get me another one later on.

My dad said he is ordering it soon so I will keep you updated.
[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:36 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsWrong View Post

My dad said he is ordering it soon so I will keep you updated.
No worries, no hurries!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.