transmission issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission issues

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
92renegade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

transmission issues

I'm new to the jeep world. I purchased my jeep 1 month ago. The PO stated the trans needed to be replaced. He couldn't tell me exactly why though.I have had a few issues with my transmision. I have a 4.0 with a 5 speed trans. I know it isn't the pueguo trans. The issue I have is sometimes it won't shift into 2nd gear. The other issue is sometime it grinds shifting into 4th gear on up shift or downshift. It seem the 4th gear grind is worst on downshift. The 2nd gear doesn't grind it just wont go in, I will have to shift to 3rd. It seems to shift into 2nd after it warms up. I have checked and drained the fluid. It was not low. The jeep does have 212000 on it. The clutch seems fine. I have had it flushed and refilled and bleed. Maybe it is time for a trans rebuild?
Frank

92renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

check the synchros and your throwout bearing. uve most likely have an ax15 if its behind the 4.0. my ax5 behind my 4banger did the exact same thing. 2nd gear lips, ive lost 5th and 4th was about to go, the throwout is bad synchros are bad and it grinds in every gear so its done for. im swapping in an ax15. id check those 2 things first though. and check your fluid level before all of it just to be sure
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
92renegade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have checked drained and refill fluids. That was the first thing I had done. 2nd gear doesn't slip. When you try to shift to 2nd it feels like there is something in the way no matter how hard you pull. But when ot warms up it is fine. The 4th gear shift sometimes it shifts smooth and sometimes it shifts hard with no grinding. Sometimes if I rev the motor alittle it shifts with out grinding.I would think if the clutch is an issue this would be in all gears.
92renegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.