Transmission issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 10-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Bloomie2503
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission issues

Next issue for me. My YJ lost 5th gear on a road trip to Florida. Got it back to Alabama and had it rebuilt. Everything was replaced inside it (I am on good terms with the mechanic and he stands by his work). Drove it for about a week after it was rebuilt and took her out to drive a few dirt roads. On my way back (about an hour drive) I lost 5th gear again. Took it back to the shop and he fixed 5th gear yet again and put on a new clip. A month later, lost 5th gear again.

I seem to loose 5th if I am going down the highway and let off the gas and get back on it. The clip that holds the gear on keeps falling off so the jeep wont go into 5th gear.

Any ideas on what the issue is because myself and the mechanic are at a loss.

Bloomie2503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
Bloomie2503
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It appears I have stumped everyone on this one
Unread 10-08-2011, 05:39 AM   #3
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

can you shift into 5th at all?

syncros?
Unread 10-08-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
scifone
Learns the hard way

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The clips that hold 5th gear in are junk. I have heard of people putting a collar on the shaft to hold 5th gear in instead of using those clips. Check in the FAQ, I remember someone doing a writeup on this same problem.

Edit:

Here's a link

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...emoval-908252/
scifone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help needed , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.