transmission issues? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission issues?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-31-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
ragincajin336
1995 YJ Wrangler 

transmission issues?

Maybe this was posted before and i am just too lazy to seek it out but here is the scoop:

I think I know what is going on, but I want yall's ideas, Today while driving around looking at the downed trees and power lines from Irene and my jeep started making a grinding noise in 1 and 2. I brought it home, let it sit for a while, then went out to get dinner and experiment with symptoms and here is what I have:

1. When working the clutch out to idle in first, the tranny makes a groaning noise, then moves like normal, kind of acts like the idle is set really low.
2. In second the tranny makes a grinding noise as I ease onto the gas and ease out of the clutch.
3,4,5. As I work through each gear, there is a slight groan as the clutch comes out and I go on full gas.

Other notes - It seems to grind in low gears if I have any clutch on as I work the gas. Lastly, In the higher gear range, there does not seem to be any real affect on performance.

Riddle me this.....

ragincajin336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
Fenix85182
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the synchros are getting tired in first and second gears. In my first AX-15 the syncros failed in gear 4 and 2 first, as was noticed by difficult downshifting.
Fenix85182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2011, 07:55 PM   #3
ridgeghost
1990 YJ Wrangler 

same exact thig is happening to me too, id agree that its the synchros. mainlyu because 1st and 2nd gears are used the most. but i have about 200,000 on this tranny and its been in 3 j33ps, so as i see it.... its about time for one anyways.
ridgeghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
ragincajin336
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So what is the fix?

Do I have to replace the whole tranny or is it possible to break it down and rebuild?

If I can rebuild, any idea how much and where I can get the synchros and a good place to find a blown up diagram for it?
ragincajin336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #5
Buckshooter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission Parts

Try here
http://www.quadratec.com/category/Je...n/57/index.htm
Buckshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , gear , tranny , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.