transmission issue ? drive shaft issue ? clutch issue..where to begin ?..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission issue ? drive shaft issue ? clutch issue..where to begin ?.....

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 09-28-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
rthompson48082
2003 TJ Wrangler 

transmission issue ? drive shaft issue ? clutch issue..where to begin ?.....

having issues where my trans sounds like it's whining when in 2nd,3rd and 5th gear...push the clucth in...goes away....4th gear, no whining at all...along with this comes a rattling noise as well....

could this be related to a drive shaft issue ? or maybe a clutch issue ?

been reading around the forum where people say it sounds like it coming from the trans, but was actually a drive shaft issue....

i dont run in 4wd only 2wd....so could i pull my rear drive shaft and do some driving as a test ?

this one is bugging the crap outta me...especially since it doesnt do it in 4th gear....that's why im thinking it's probably a trans issue....

grrrrr....help !!

Last edited by rthompson48082; 09-28-2009 at 04:58 PM..
rthompson48082 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 88 was making the same noise as soon as I bought it(lucky me),which had the junky ba-10.It ended up being one of the main bearings in the tranny.It sounded like a diesel idling in every gear except 4th or when the clutch was pushed in.If you look up your gear ratio on your tranny 4th gear is probaly 1:1 which means its straight through on the shaft which Im assuming put less to no strain on the bearing.I would have just rebulit mine but since it was the pukegoat I went ahead and did an ax-15 upgrade.
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
rthompson48082
2003 TJ Wrangler 

does that main bearing come in a tranny rebuild kit ? i got a quote of 450.00 (parts included) for a rebuild..but i have to pull it and drop it off to the guy..

were you getting a rattling noise as well as the loud grinding type noise ?
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Mine wasnt making a grinding noise at all,it actually shifted fine it just literally sounded like a diesel in the tranny.The faster the rpms were the louder it sounded,at first I thought it was the engine was about to throw a rod through the block.Im not sure about what comes in the kit but Im pretty sure theres master kits that come with everything.Id check 4wd.com,quadratech,jc whitney etc. for the best price.Another option is just buy a used one but Id rather have one rebuilt with no miles,just a matter or choice though.
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
rthompson48082
2003 TJ Wrangler 

hmm, i just started getting grinding noises while shifting into 3rd and 4th gear...but the whining of the transmission was going on before that...when i say grinding of the trans i dont shifting,although that is a problem now, it sounds like something inside the trans is grinding and i also hear some rattling...

the weird thing is and the reason im quesioning if it's the trans is that supposedly the previous owner had the trans rebuilt, hence the question of it being a drive shaft or something clutch related.
Unread 09-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
rthompson48082
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dumb question here...im actually talking to someone right now, strange coincidence, about getting a used transmission.....the 95 YJ has the AX-15 transmission in it correct ? can anyone confirm this ? or is there a way i can look at mine a distinguish what trans i have in this bad,bad,bad,bad boy..haha
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If its a 4.0 6 cylinder then yeah they are all ax15 after mid year 89.If its the 2.5 4 cylinder then they are all ax5.Cant remember what year(94?) they went from internal slave cylinder to external slave cylinder for the clutch but the tranny is still the same only the bellhousing is different.Mine is the newer internal bell but Im still running an internal slave,so that shows that all the ax15s are the same.Also if its a 2wd jeep then it is different so it has to be for a 4wd.Hope thats not too confusing.
Unread 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

OOps I made a mistake,some of the 4.0s had NVG3500 in them not sure what years(2003?),never really researched it but they are way newer than what we have.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.