Transmission hard shift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission hard shift

The Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. SaThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #1
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission hard shift

Eh guys got a question for y'all. I have a 94 2.5 yj with 4.10 gears. This has happened to me maybe 3-4 times. Yesterday I took her out wheeling for an hour or so. She drove and shifted fine even though we went through some pretty crazy small goat trails (a lady in distress, husband had a brand new dodge 1500 4x4 truck buried to the frame. She walked 3 miles while he stayed with the truck for help). After completing the rescue, we parked at spot on s slight rise. When I went to start her back up, she didn't want to go into gear. The clutch was all the way in but it kept grinding the gears bad. Eventually it went into gear. Then as I was shifting into 1, & 2nd gears I had to force them into gear. It was very hard I felt like I was going to break the shifter. She was in 4lo at the time. It has happened 2x before when wheeling and once while driving on the road. I changed out the tranny fluid it looked good. Is it time to have the tranny rebuilt or is there something I'm doing wrong. Oh yesterday after I drove around in 4lo and 2nd gear for about a half hour or so when I came to a stop she came out of gear like normal and went back into gear like normal and no more problems. Thoughts.

odss91b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
Drednot
Web Wheeler

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next time it happens, pump the clutch a few times and if it helps, you need a new clutch master cylinder.

Most likely.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot
Next time it happens, pump the clutch a few times and if it helps, you need a new clutch master cylinder. Most likely.
Ok thanks
Unread 05-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #4
Luuca
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
Next time it happens, pump the clutch a few times and if it helps, you need a new clutch master cylinder.

Most likely.
This^

Also double check your transmission bell housing bolts. If they are loose or missing, on an incline it could slip down and bind up the shifter/ throw out bearing.
Unread Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #5
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok if pumping the clutch a few times doesn't work then what?
Unread Yesterday, 08:11 AM   #6
odss91b
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuca
This^ Also double check your transmission bell housing bolts. If they are loose or missing, on an incline it could slip down and bind up the shifter/ throw out bearing.
I will check those this morning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.