Transmission Fluid Question - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Fluid Question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #46
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Pics?
I can get pictures of where the leak is dripping from, sure.
I'll edit them into this post when I get them.

Edit: Put pictures in.

In the first and second picture you can clearly see a drop starting to form on the knuckle.

Sorry for the pictures being huge, don't know how to resize them to fit the window..

imag0772.jpg   imag0773-1.jpg  
Gozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #47
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible for my u-joint to be leaking somehow?
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #48
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz
Is it possible for my u-joint to be leaking somehow?
Yeah it could be leaking as you can see on your exhaust that burnt black section. This could also be the transfer case leak as well. But normally ujoint grease isnt pink. So depending on the color of the fluid on the yoke i am going to say that your shaft is scored and is causing your leak.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #49
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The liquid on the yoke is red transmission fluid which is why I originally thought it was the seal, but after changing it I see the leak is in the exact same spot.

What do you mean by a scored shaft?

Thanks Boss
Unread 01-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #50
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The liquid on the yoke is red transmission fluid which is why I originally thought it was the seal, but after changing it I see the leak is in the exact same spot.

What do you mean by a scored shaft?

Thanks Boss
If its red its from the transfer case not ujoint. When I said scored I mean the shaft might and most likely has small microscopic scratches on it. These scratches will allow oil to seep through them as passageways. You can replace the seal, but its rubber will not be able to close these passageways if you will. The shaft may need to be replaced. Fill the transfercase and let it be for a week. Then check the fluid level. If it is still pretty much full. Then I would leave it alone and fill it every couple of months. Or replace the shaft and yoke.

Unread 01-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #51
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So since the liquid is red then it's probably a scored yoke/shaft and not the u-joint? Is that right?
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:26 PM   #52
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post

If its red its from the transfer case not ujoint. When I said scored I mean the shaft might and most likely has small microscopic scratches on it. These scratches will allow oil to seep through them as passageways. You can replace the seal, but its rubber will not be able to close these passageways if you will. The shaft may need to be replaced. Fill the transfercase and let it be for a week. Then check the fluid level. If it is still pretty much full. Then I would leave it alone and fill it every couple of months. Or replace the shaft and yoke.

Also use very fine sandpaper on it and grease the seal. Even if it is slightly scratched that will stop it from leaking with a decent seal. It needs to be pretty bad to be unrepairable.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #53
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ View Post
Also use very fine sandpaper on it and grease the seal. Even if it is slightly scratched that will stop it from leaking with a decent seal. It needs to be pretty bad to be unrepairable.
Sorry for not understanding but you're saying I should use fine sandpaper on the shaft and yoke? Also what seal am I greasing here?
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #54
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Sorry for not understanding but you're saying I should use fine sandpaper on the shaft and yoke? Also what seal am I greasing here?
You can sand the shaft slightly, but if they are deep then sanding it wont help, but worth a try. And I am not even sure on the greasing part. I mean you would normally put some ATF on the seal where it contacts the shaft so it goes on with out rolling, but I haven't heard of putting grease anywhere on it. Overkill should explain more I suppose.

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #55
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You can sand the shaft slightly, but if they are deep then sanding it wont help, but worth a try. And I am not even sure on the greasing part. I mean you would normally put some ATF on the seal where it contacts the shaft so it goes on with out rolling, but I haven't heard of putting grease anywhere on it. Overkill should explain more I suppose.

If it is so bad that you sand it smooth but have a gap at the seal where fluid will constantly drip then grease will form a good enough seal to drive it for a while. I am only talking 1000 miles or so. But you will still need a new slip yoke. The grease will sit in that concave part of the seal and keep in the atf for a while assuming it isn't horrible. If it was that bad right now though I don't think we would be talking about this.
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:23 PM   #56
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I remember somewhere on this site that they had an issue with an actual hole in the slip yoke that allowed fluid to seep out. Might want to check that and see if thats it.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #57
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The grease seems like a waste of time to me. Not knocking you or anything. But if its at the point of having to add a thick lube to try and stall a leak, just replace it.

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #58
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The grease seems like a waste of time to me. Not knocking you or anything. But if its at the point of having to add a thick lube to try and stall a leak, just replace it.

Yeah, but if you need to replace the slip yoke on a daily driver it can make life easier while you get the time/parts.
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #59
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0verkillYJ

Yeah, but if you need to replace the slip yoke on a daily driver it can make life easier while you get the time/parts.
This is true

Unread 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #60
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
I remember somewhere on this site that they had an issue with an actual hole in the slip yoke that allowed fluid to seep out. Might want to check that and see if thats it.
Well, I guess I should start in small increments.
It would be nicer if it was just the yoke, because a whole rear driveshaft would suck.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.