Transmission Fluid Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Fluid Question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-15-2013, 02:02 AM   #31
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I honestly couldn't tell you.
The Jeep used to be my dads and he got it fixed with someone I don't know. Now the Jeep is mine, but my dad says he doesn't know what the guy did to it either.
He did say that the guy that fixed it had trouble doing something.. but that doesn't really help very much.

It's weird because it was fixed and worked perfectly fine, but then I do this seal it starts happening again.
Are these things linked somehow or is it just bad timing?

Gozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:41 AM   #32
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz View Post
He guys thanks a lot this is really helping me out. But I still have some questions.
Let me just summarize so I understand it in my own noob terms.

1: Take out 30mm fill bolt
2: Remove 30mm drain bolt
3: Drain transmission fluid into a bucket until it basically drips and remove metal shavings with finger
**4: is this the step I would try doing the new seal? Once there is no fluid in the transfer case?
5: Replace drain plug
6: Fill new fluid into transfer case using 10w30 Regular ATF from Walmart, 3 quarts to be safe with some kind of special bottle?? How do I get fluid in there? I don't have the spout thing. I'll know it's full because fluid will start coming out of the fill hole.
7: replace fill bolt
8: that's it?

So basically I don't need to know what kind of transmission I have since I'm filling the transfer case or is that totally wrong?

Thanks guys

EDIT: I spoke to a family friend who is a mechanic and he told me to not do the seal because it's really difficult removing the driveshaft, somehting about really small bolts that I need special tools for. You guys are telling me it's really easy. What should I do? I'm not very mechanically inclined, I've only changed the power steering pump in my Jeep (which is leaking again).
Please tell him how easy it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carralo1 View Post
Not 10w30, ATF (auto transmission fluid). Buy the adapter that screws on a regualr 1 quart bottle with a clear hose connected, these are used to fill differentials, they are usually near the fluids should be like 6 bucks.

Yes after you drain fluid you replace the seal. Just research how to change seal, there's plenty of writeups videos pics etc etc. basically you pull the old one then tap the new one in with a large socket or piece of pipe, something the same size as metal part of new seal so that you can seat the new seal flush.

You have a np231 transfer case doesn't matter what tranny but according to one of my charts you should have a ax15.
A 1989 YJ 4.2L might have either the BA10/5, or the AX-15. Production dates before 3-9-1989 should have the BA10/5, later production dates should have the AX-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post

Yeah still atf. Also it doesn't matter how you put in the driveshaft, its just that it can only go in the exact way you took it out or 180deg the other way. Or you can put your tc in neutral or lift the backend up and turn the wheels so the yoke turns. You will see when you go to put it back in.
Totally incorrect. The driveshaft can go back in the transfer case any way you like. The splines on the transfer case output shaft have no correlation to the yoke position whatsoever.

Quote:
I honestly couldn't tell you.
The Jeep used to be my dads and he got it fixed with someone I don't know. Now the Jeep is mine, but my dad says he doesn't know what the guy did to it either.
He did say that the guy that fixed it had trouble doing something.. but that doesn't really help very much.

It's weird because it was fixed and worked perfectly fine, but then I do this seal it starts happening again.
Are these things linked somehow or is it just bad timing?
Completely unrelated.

Need to know which transmission you have.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #33
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It would have to be put in the same if it was in gear or on the ground. Not being able to turn the shaft or axle yoke, it would be hard to line up the unjoint and the axle yoke.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #34
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030 View Post
It would have to be put in the same if it was in gear or on the ground. Not being able to turn the shaft or axle yoke, it would be hard to line up the unjoint and the axle yoke.
I must've misunderstood. I thought you meant that the front yoke to transfer case spline relationship mattered. My mistake.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #35
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
A 1989 YJ 4.2L might have either the BA10/5, or the AX-15. Production dates before 3-9-1989 should have the BA10/5, later production dates should have the AX-15.

Max
How do I find out what production date I have?
I've tried decoding my VIN but I can't seem to find it that way.
Unread 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't matter, really. Just use the link in one of the first few responses in this thread to identify your transmission.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-15-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

From this picture alone I can tell mine is like the one on the right (AX-15)

EDIT: Apparently it's not popping out of reverse anymore.. I don't know if this has to do with the transmission fluid or something maybe not fully gone through the system after draining or what but my dad took the Jeep for a spin and reversed everywhere. He said it didn't pop out to him. I don't know what's going on but for now everything is ok. Hopefully it stays that way
At least I learned what transmission I have for future reference.
Unread 01-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #38
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No worries max, I had a chest cold when I wrote that, so it probably made little sense to begin with. What with the NyQuil and all. Anyway I hope that reverse works for you. The only thing I can think of is maybe the boot is interfering with the shifting.
Unread 01-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #39
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Gozz the fluid might have been cold in your transmission or the boot was cold and pushed it out of gear. The atf you put in your transfer case wouldn't effect your reversing.
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #40
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

So just an update.
The Jeep is still leaking. Is there anywhere else the drops could be coming from or did I install the seal wrong?
I mean it's starting to seem that Jeeps are just meant to leak or something because I couldn't fix my power steering pump leak either after replacing the whole unit.
or just unlucky maybe?
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:52 PM   #41
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Do you know anyone with an inspection camera? That'll let you know real quick where is it coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #42
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossd1030
Do you know anyone with an inspection camera? That'll let you know real quick where is it coming from.

Oops, I thought I was in a different thread.
It is possible you could have damaged the mating surface while removing or installing the seal. Or the shaft could be scored and the new seal isn't sealing on it right.

Unread 01-17-2013, 10:58 PM   #43
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Double post
Unread 01-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #44
PalomaPaul
1991 YJ Wrangler 

To put ATF in the transfer case I took the lid off the bottle, drilled a small hole in it, put the lid back on, and literally squeezed the fluid into the transfer case. Sometimes a Dawn detergent bottle will work or a bottle of toilet bowl cleaner with the angled spout. Don't waste your money buying a special item to fill it.
PalomaPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #45
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So just an update.
The Jeep is still leaking. Is there anywhere else the drops could be coming from or did I install the seal wrong?
I mean it's starting to seem that Jeeps are just meant to leak or something because I couldn't fix my power steering pump leak either after replacing the whole unit.
or just unlucky maybe?
Pics?
95 YJ, 2.5 AX15 conversion, 4.0 TB, SOA +1.5", 33" DC Crusher Tires, 8.8 Rear w/welded tubes + LSD, Spartan Locker HP30 Front w/solid axle swap, Rocky Road OTT kit, JKS Disconnects, AA SYE, Teraflex Shock Bar in Rear, 1/2" Boomerang Shackles, RE Add a Leafs, Homebrew Traction Bar, Monstalined in&out, LED Tail lights, 1700 Watt Stereo
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.