Transmission Fluid Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Fluid Question

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission Fluid Question

Hey guys complete newbie here so excuse me in advanced for the terrible questions.

My 89 4.2 has recently sprung a leak because of a bad seal (I think). The leak is coming from the back of the transfer case where the second drive shaft starts (sorry I'm not good with car language yet, does this make sense?).

I've come to the conclusion that it's probably transmission fluid since it's red. Now don't get mad at me because I know this has been asked before, but the problem is I don't know where to fill the transmission fluid.
I've already tried looking at other threads and searching, but I've only gotten more confused with the drain and fill plugs in the transfer case and the transmission itself. Also there's so many different numbers being thrown up for what is best for the Jeep regarding the oil. It doesn't help that I have an 89 which could have a BA-10 or an AX-15 and those could have their own fluids, etc.

So basically what I need is just a straight up answer because I'm super confused and I don't want to mess up and blow up m transmission or something.

Thanks

Gozz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ok first lets try to unconfuse you. Your transmission and transfer case do not share fluids.. they are sealed from each other. If your leaking from where the driveshaft comes out you will need a seal (if it goes to the rear axle its a rear output seal front is a front output seal). Ill find you a picture of where to fill it shortly.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hange-1009078/

The transmission can be id'd from this thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...3/#post2587871

both transmissions take 10w30 motor oil for fluid (yes I typed it correctly)

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Carralo1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

^Yep. There is a drain and fill plug on rear of transfer case. The top is fill bottom is drain pretty simple there. These are big plugs, you will need a 30mm socket. You can use a 1 3/16" if you don't have metric that big. Fill till it starts to drip out fill plug, if you want to get technical i believe it should be 2.2 quarts. ATF fluid is what you use. I use just regular atf from Walmart
Carralo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #4
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can also replace that seal for about $5 and dont need to do anything besides pull out the driveshaft to get to it. Just draing the TC before you do it, replace the seal and fill it back up. 30 min job if its your first time.
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

He guys thanks a lot this is really helping me out. But I still have some questions.
Let me just summarize so I understand it in my own noob terms.

1: Take out 30mm fill bolt
2: Remove 30mm drain bolt
3: Drain transmission fluid into a bucket until it basically drips and remove metal shavings with finger
**4: is this the step I would try doing the new seal? Once there is no fluid in the transfer case?
5: Replace drain plug
6: Fill new fluid into transfer case using 10w30 Regular ATF from Walmart, 3 quarts to be safe with some kind of special bottle?? How do I get fluid in there? I don't have the spout thing. I'll know it's full because fluid will start coming out of the fill hole.
7: replace fill bolt
8: that's it?

So basically I don't need to know what kind of transmission I have since I'm filling the transfer case or is that totally wrong?

Thanks guys

EDIT: I spoke to a family friend who is a mechanic and he told me to not do the seal because it's really difficult removing the driveshaft, somehting about really small bolts that I need special tools for. You guys are telling me it's really easy. What should I do? I'm not very mechanically inclined, I've only changed the power steering pump in my Jeep (which is leaking again).
Unread 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
0verkillYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah #4 is to do seal. Use a hand pump to get the fluid in the TC and just fill it while the Jeep is level until it overflows. Also, use high milage ATF, NOT motor oil.
0verkillYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Carralo1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not 10w30, ATF (auto transmission fluid). Buy the adapter that screws on a regualr 1 quart bottle with a clear hose connected, these are used to fill differentials, they are usually near the fluids should be like 6 bucks.

Yes after you drain fluid you replace the seal. Just research how to change seal, there's plenty of writeups videos pics etc etc. basically you pull the old one then tap the new one in with a large socket or piece of pipe, something the same size as metal part of new seal so that you can seat the new seal flush.

You have a np231 transfer case doesn't matter what tranny but according to one of my charts you should have a ax15.
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Carralo1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As Overkill yj said. he beat me to it
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz
He guys thanks a lot this is really helping me out. But I still have some questions.
Let me just summarize so I understand it in my own noob terms.

1: Take out 30mm fill bolt
2: Remove 30mm drain bolt
3: Drain transmission fluid into a bucket until it basically drips and remove metal shavings with finger
**4: is this the step I would try doing the new seal? Once there is no fluid in the transfer case?
5: Replace drain plug
6: Fill new fluid into transfer case using 10w30 Regular ATF from Walmart, 3 quarts to be safe with some kind of special bottle?? How do I get fluid in there? I don't have the spout thing. I'll know it's full because fluid will start coming out of the fill hole.
7: replace fill bolt
8: that's it?

So basically I don't need to know what kind of transmission I have since I'm filling the transfer case or is that totally wrong?

Thanks guys

EDIT: I spoke to a family friend who is a mechanic and he told me to not do the seal because it's really difficult removing the driveshaft, somehting about really small bolts that I need special tools for. You guys are telling me it's really easy. What should I do? I'm not very mechanically inclined, I've only changed the power steering pump in my Jeep (which is leaking again).
Ok first off, don't ask this family friend anymore questions about your jeep. He doesn't have a clue.

This is what you need to do.
Drain transfercase.
Using an 8mm (I think, its in this size range) to remove the ujoint straps. You will see 4 bolts on the back end of the driveshaft, these are what hold the ujoint in place, remove these and the ujoint and driveshaft will come loose.
Now you can pull the driveshaft straight out of the transfer case.
You can now see the oil seal.
Remove oil seal (I suggest getting an oil seal puller, 9 bucks at almost any autoparts store).
Install new seal, put driveshaft back in, make sure it lines up with the yoke on the axle.
Then put straps back on.
Fill tc. And away you go.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #10
flcracker
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Not the expert by any means here but if he has a SLE already done on it, would it change the seal problem?? I ask because mine came with it already done and while its not leaking (fingers crossed) I wonder how hard or easy it would be??

My Jeep is possessed with the goal of making me lose my religion....
flcracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Alright cool. I've already seen some videos of how to do the seal and remove the driveshaft already and it seems pretty straightforward. Only thing is I'll have to find something that allows me to put the new seal back in flush because I don't know if I have something that is the same size as it to get it in perfectly.

So it is really important to get the driveshaft in the same way I took it out then?

But ok I'll fill the TC with high mileage ATF, not motor oil. And buy some sort of spout/hose thing to get it in there.
Do you guys recommend any type of seal or does it really not matter? I mean I know I have to get a rear output transfer case seal (is that right?).
Unread 01-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #12
Carralo1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just Go to napa, generally those guys know the most versus the other couple stores.
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
Gozz
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Oh so another question. My Jeep isn't automatic, it's stick. Do I still use Automatic Transmission Fluid for the transfer case?
Unread 01-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #14
Carralo1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozz
Oh so another question. My Jeep isn't automatic, it's stick. Do I still use Automatic Transmission Fluid for the transfer case?
Yeah still atf. Also it doesn't matter how you put in the driveshaft, its just that it can only go in the exact way you took it out or 180deg the other way. Or you can put your tc in neutral or lift the backend up and turn the wheels so the yoke turns. You will see when you go to put it back in.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.