Transmission Fluid Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Fluid Change

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-09-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
JungleLarry

Transmission Fluid Change

I have a 93 Wrangler with 4.0 liter I-6 and manual trans. I just drained out my fluid and started putting new stuff in. I got about 3 quarts in, stuck my pinky in the fill hole, and dipped it down. I touched the gear oil but 3 quarts doesn't seem like a lot. Is that normal?

Unread 03-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #2
Jpman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleLarry
I have a 93 Wrangler with 4.0 liter I-6 and manual trans. I just drained out my fluid and started putting new stuff in. I got about 3 quarts in, stuck my pinky in the fill hole, and dipped it down. I touched the gear oil but 3 quarts doesn't seem like a lot. Is that normal?

That's about right, I just filled mine last week. Took a touch over three quarts. Next time I do it, I'll just put 3 quarts in because I'm now running Redline MT-90 and that stuff is $8 a quart.
Jpman94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpman94
That's about right, I just filled mine last week. Took a touch over three quarts. Next time I do it, I'll just put 3 quarts in because I'm now running Redline MT-90 and that stuff is $8 a quart.
but you know it's good stuff .. worth every penny ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
JungleLarry

Alright, I was just making sure. Because it looked like 4-5 quarts came out, but maybe my eyes are off :P

I'm just trying to get prepared for my off-roading trip this weekend so I went ahead and changed all of the fluids in my Jeep. Thanks for your input though.
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:27 PM   #5
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleLarry
Alright, I was just making sure. Because it looked like 4-5 quarts came out, but maybe my eyes are off :P ... .
You can bet if you dumped it on the floor it would look twice that amount
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #6
JungleLarry

I am amazingly clean when it comes to fluid draining. No automotive oil has ever touched the concrete of my garage :P
Unread 03-10-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
jdjonesdr

Duh, another stupid question..

Does it really make a big difference when you change the manual transmission oil? I have always heard that the oil in the tranny doesn't need to be changed.
I have seen a couple of comments about guys changing their oil over to a synthetic oil. Is it worth it?
For what its worth, my 5 speed has always been tight going into 2nd gear, ever since new, and would always give me a very slight grind if I shifted too quickly.
Now, 160 thousand miles later, it still does it...
DOMINICAN STORM RIDERS JEEP CLUB, SD,RD, Member #1, 1990 Cherokee, 4.2, Autmatic, A/C, Stock.
It's my seventh jeep, had em' all my life, did all my 4 wheelin' on sand dunes.
My jeep loves me.. right?
jdjonesdr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 02:07 PM   #8
JungleLarry

Well I like changing fluids because it makes me feel better (and the fluid that came out of my transmission had the approximate viscosity of water...). I have noticed that it is easier to shift into first when slowing down and it has made the shift into reverse easier also. Synthetic gear oil will last longer, so yeah, it's worth it.
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:36 PM   #9
95KYsahara
1981 FSJ Cherokee 

The dealer sheet specified 3 2/5ths quarts for the AX15 every 30k miles. Don't get thier stuff either, it's 14 bucks a qt.!!!!!!
95KYsahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:57 PM   #10
JPH
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KYsahara
The dealer sheet specified 3 2/5ths quarts for the AX15 every 30k miles. Don't get thier stuff either, it's 14 bucks a qt.!!!!!!
Ah, yes good ol' Swope! Found that out myself about a month ago. I bought Valvoline synthetic from Autozone for $24 instead of the dealer's $45.
I can see where synthetic lasts longer, but I also keep hearing that it increases gas mileage, although the gains would have to be very small. I guess every little bit helps.
Unread 03-10-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

yea I was about to say it is close to 3.5 qts for the ax-15. I think that tight going into 2nd is an ax-15 trademark. mine is real tight on very cold mornings before she warms up
Unread 03-10-2005, 08:26 PM   #12
JungleLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95KYsahara
I guess I'll go back and put a little more in :P Thanks. And yes, second gear misbehaves, even when I yell at it.
Unread 03-11-2005, 05:37 AM   #13
nightstalker5.0

94' YJ 4.0 5 speed manual, when changing mine it took over 4 quarts and still didn't overflow out the hole.? by the wat i used that castro full synthetic gear oil from advanced auto, what should i put in next time?
nightstalker5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 06:52 AM   #14
vmkwrangler
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just had my trans overhauled, 2nd is tight when cold so I am going to try REDLINE MT 90, I have some on order now. It seems like the most recommended AX-15 oil on this forum.
Ramsey Rep 9.5e
TJ Flares, 32x11.50's
vmkwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2005, 09:18 AM   #15
YKnot

I'm also draining the trans fluid in my Jeep this weekend and was thinking about switching to synthetic. But I get conflicting opinions about the switch. Some people say that is can cause leakage in the tranny for whatever reasons and others say its better for you trans because is more stable then non synthetic. I'm going to switch to Synthetic anyway but I wanted to ask, I've heard that the first time you switch to synthetic, that you should try some kind of blend instead of a complete switchover. Then the next time you drain the trans, then go all Synthetic.

is that a myth? Should I just go with a full switch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.