Transmission Fluid? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission Fluid?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-03-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission Fluid?

Ok so I finally got the jeep running... it will shift through all the gears fine but when i put it in 1st and start letting the clutch out it doesnt move...i let it al the way out and still nothing... same thing with reverse...i was just curious if this could be due to it not having fluid...

Jimidude87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimidude87 View Post
Ok so I finally got the jeep running... it will shift through all the gears fine but when i put it in 1st and start letting the clutch out it doesnt move...i let it al the way out and still nothing... same thing with reverse...i was just curious if this could be due to it not having fluid...
Yep.

Or air in the clutch system (lines or improperly bled clutch master cyl.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It could also be that the clutch itself is bad. This is reasonable if the Jeep was sitting for a long time in 1st gear. Happened with the rebuild I just did. Luckily the clutch parts run about $100. But you will have to drop the trans if that is the issue. First I would check the cylinders to make sure you have fluid and pressure. Does the peddle drop to the floor, or does it feel normal?
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep did sit for about 2 years but it sat out of gear. The clutch felt normal to me and I could go through the gears with no problems when I had the clutch held in. Also, something I thought about after I was finished, the 4 wheel drive shifter (sorry if it has a name, im not sure what it is) I believe was in neutral, should this be in 2H or should it be in neutral? sorry if these seem like stupid questions but this is my first 4wd vehicle. Thanks for all the help.
Unread 10-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
flea2107
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If any part of your drivetrain is in neutral, it won't move. Put it in 2H and try again.
flea2107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

A transfer case in neutral disconnects the front and rear driveshafts. You aren't going anywhere if the tcase is in neutral. 2hi and your good to go mate!
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so I have an update...I got to working on the jeep today and here is whats new. I started it up, put the tcase in 2H and then shifted into reverse...I backed up about 20 yards and tried to shift from reverse into 1st and it wouldnt do anything. I checked and changed the transmission fluid which was pretty dirty and it still wouldnt do anything. It is stuck in reverse but it wont move. I can freely push the jeep which is weird to me because I always thought that if a car was in gear you could not move it without having the clutch pressed in. I bled the clutch, there was some air in it but not enough to make me think that was the problem...

Somebody please help or this jeep is going to be the death of me.
Unread 10-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Alright so I have an update...I got to working on the jeep today and here is whats new. I started it up, put the tcase in 2H and then shifted into reverse...I backed up about 20 yards and tried to shift from reverse into 1st and it wouldnt do anything. I checked and changed the transmission fluid which was pretty dirty and it still wouldnt do anything. It is stuck in reverse but it wont move. I can freely push the jeep which is weird to me because I always thought that if a car was in gear you could not move it without having the clutch pressed in. I bled the clutch, there was some air in it but not enough to make me think that was the problem...

Somebody please help or this jeep is going to be the death of me.
Relax. We will get this figured out.

You are correct. A manual transmission in gear will prevent movement of the car, unless the transfercase isn't fully engaged into 2hi or 4 hi; meaning, tcase is in neutral...

It seems to me that your transfercase is not going all the way into 2HI. Can you easily shift through all selections on the transfercase while the transmission is in neutral? (Neutral, 4 low, 4hi, 2hi)?
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well right now the transmission is stuck in reverse...I can shift through all of the selections on the transfercase. Going through them is a little stiff but not to the point where I wouldnt think it is going into the selection that I want.
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Humn...

Well if you are truly in reverse in the tranny, you would not be able to push the jeep unless your transmission is actually in neutral, or the transfercase is in neutral.

If you are positive that the tranny is in fact in reverse, then you need to hop under the jeep and make sure the linkage is hooked up/working properly on the transfercase. If your tranny is in reverse, and you can push the jeep, then both driveshafts disconnected due the the transfercase being in neutral.

Either way, something is in neutral if the vehicle rolls.
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #11
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alright so how would I get it out of whatever gear it is in? would checking/fixing the linkage do that?
Unread 10-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Apollo12227
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bump. At work, i'll detail this later is someone doesn't beat me to it.
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

What do you mean it's stuck in reverse? Do you mean you can't physically move the shifter?

Also, my 4WD shifter has always been stiff, but it moves with some force, not enough that it feels like I'm going to break it, but it has always been more stiff than the gear shifter.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Im thinking that you may actually be stuck between gears.. see if this helps at all. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hifter-885822/

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
Jimidude87
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well I know its stuck in reverse because I can drive it in reverse but thats it...can I use that method in your link to free it up? and is there anything that helps this "sticking" problem? other than changing the transmission?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.