Transmission/clutch? something else? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transmission/clutch? something else?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-29-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Shellb2414
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Transmission/clutch? something else?

I have a 94 wrangler and a few years ago I lost 5th gear. Still drove fine, shifted fine, all was well except 5th gear. Well then it started to pull when it was in first gear. Almost like an automatic being put in gear. Then reverse became a problem it wouldn't go in. If I put it in reverse before I started the engine it was fine. Reverse while engine is on is not possible. Also, as soon as engine is on it starts pulling in the reversed gear. Most times I have to turn the jeep off to get it back out of reverse. I have done some work on other areas and I am really trying to learn so thank you in advance for listening and any and all advice.

Shellb2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Clutch problems. Could be asimple as servicing the master and bleeding or you could need a new clutch. Try filling and bleeding. Look for leaks on the firewall inside the cab by the peddles. Look underneath drivers side bell housing where the slave cylinder is mounted. If no leaks service as required and bleed. If that doesn't solve the issue you may be in for a new clutch.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
Shellb2414
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for your reply! I just did some searching and it seems for my year you can't actually bleed and refill but just replace. Is there any way to tell if the master has gone bad. Or maybe I should just replace it. thanks again!
Shellb2414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.