transmission? clutch pedal pressure? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transmission? clutch pedal pressure?

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #1
steveosmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

transmission? clutch pedal pressure?

Seems like a new week a new problem, I know nothing about transmissions so here's my problem, it's hard to go into first gear without flat out forcing it, but at the same time the clutch pedal seems to not have any pressure behind it anymore, you can push it down easily at least half way or more before it feels tight like it's actually engaging, tell me good news that it's not in the transmission itsself

steveosmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

start with bleeding the clutch system. next while running and in gear determine how much clutch pedal travel when you let off on the clutch until the clutch starts to engage. there should be 2 or 3 inches before it engages. try this and advise us.
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #3
steveosmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea it feels a couple inches to engage, a week ago it had the same tension from the time you push the pedal all the way down now it's almost free til about half way down, say it needs fluid in the clutch cylinder , what kind does it use I've never had to do that before
Unread 09-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

brake fluid, but you also should to bleed the system.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6616026_blee...-wrangler.html
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:47 AM   #5
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

These bad boys are getting to the limit of the lifespan of many of the OEM components. You should consider just replacing the clutch master cylinder. I just did mine at 220K miles and my symptoms were almost identical to yours. Along with a trans fluid change to Redline MTL, Its good to go now.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 05:40 AM   #6
steveosmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't had time to get out and work on it yet but I may take the advice and replace the whole master cylinder
Unread 09-23-2014, 05:57 AM   #7
jason280
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Fortunately, most of the components are relatively inexpensive and available at virtually every parts store.
jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 06:07 AM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Stay away from the generic parts for the hydraulic system, unless you enjoy replacing them on a regular basis.

The OEM parts were excellent, but dealers don't keep them any more. Luk brand is the best you can get these days.
Unread 09-23-2014, 07:58 AM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
Stay away from the generic parts for the hydraulic system, unless you enjoy replacing them on a regular basis.

The OEM parts were excellent, but dealers don't keep them any more. Luk brand is the best you can get these days.
Agreed. I'm pretty sure the generic brands are just NOS. The rubber is going to fail from age just like the one in your vehicle.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #10
steveosmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So bad news the leak isn't from the master cylinder or the slave, the only leak I see is from around the backside of the transmission and it's leaking down through the hole in the center of the skid plate , what does this mean
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your transmission fluid level. Just open the fill port and stick your finger in there.

Also, rub the fluid that that is leaking between your fingers. Does it feel like oil or Does it feel warm and a little sticky despite the temperature?
Unread 09-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #12
steveosmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks feels and smells like oil , the leak seems to be at the main back of the transmission , and would this have to do with the pedal losing pressure and the fluid disappearing
Unread 09-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #13
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like you may have two problems, a leaking transmission or transfer case and a leaking clutch cylinder.

I believe your clutch hydraulic system comes as a full assembly in the 95. You buy the master cylinder, clutch hydraulic line, and slave cylinder all in one piece already filled with fluid and install it. Very easy job on the 95 which uses an external slave cylinder. This will take care of your weak clutch pedal.

Mopar ($270) http://www.quadratec.com/products/52007_05.htm
Sachs ($120) http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...266&cc=1185241

As far as the leak above the skid plate goes, you need to open the fill port (not the drain port) on your transmission and on your transfer case. Stick your finger inside and see if you feel fluid. If you don't, add more right away. If you do feel fluid, feel free to keep driving, but check very regularly to see how fast you are losing fluids.
Unread 09-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #14
steveosmith
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok bled the system that took care of the loose clutch pedal , don't see any leaks on the whole system so hopefully that's that, now I don't want to sound too dumb here but transmissions are the one thing I'm in the dark about , can anyone tell me where the fill port on the transmission is , mine is the 4cyl by the way and if it is low how much should I add
Unread 09-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I cant remember if it is drivers side or passenger side on the ax5, but there will be two plugs. The higher one is the fill port. You just fill it until it starts pouring out the fill hole. You may need to buy a hand pump to get new oil in (about $5).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.