Transfercase: 4hi works nothing else. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfercase: 4hi works nothing else.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transfercase: 4hi works nothing else.

When in neutral i engage 4 hi and it engages, and the dash light turns on. But it seems like I cant get it to go into 4 low. I try to wiggle/force it and it just stops. I dont have a repair manual on me right now but where should I start trouble shooting this? The jeep makes no irregular sounds when in 4 hi, but it turns like a *****. Is that a indication that the PO may of had a locker installed?

sdotcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM   #2
jmmorgan82

Dumb question, but I only saw you mention 4low. Is 2hi working?
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes sir, sorry i didnt clarify.
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

when going to 4lo you need to pull the lever to the left and then back.. kinda like a z

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
sdotcarter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ran out and tried it. With some solid kidney punches to the shifter i got it to go in. Now it works like a charm. Im assuming the PO used this rig as a pavement pounder and never needed 4 lo, but my first time wheeling i woulda killed for it lol

Hey what are the symptoms of a locked front end? When the truck is in 4 wheeler and i try to turn at all it jerks and wants to go straight, i dont know hard to describe but its not line any other 4x4 ive driven.
Unread 11-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #6
Briteredjeepguy
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The np231 transfer case is a part-time transfer case. When it's in 4wd, the two driveshafts are locked together at the same speed. This causes hopping when turning because your front wheels aren't turning at the same speed as the rear. This is also why you should avoid using 4wd on high traction surfaces.
Briteredjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.