Transfer case vs SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case vs SYE

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
dan-E
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case vs SYE

Hey everyone,

Total Newb question here. I just ordered a Rubicon Express 2.5" lift kit for my '95 YJ (4-cylinder, 5-speed, completely stock) and my question is this: Since the kit comes with a transfer case drop kit, is that sufficient for my Jeep, or do I need to order a Slip Yoke Eliminator as well?

Also, I've read in this forum and other that some transfer case drops affect the shifter to the point that gear 2, 4, and reverse are unusable unless you cut into the tub. I'd like to avoid this so I'm wondering if I should forego the drop kit and just install the SYE. And if so, which ones are good?

Thanks!

dan-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well here is my 2 cents... I did the BDS 2" Lift, I also did 1/2" Shackles, and I put in 1" motor mounts so I could avoid the transfer case drop kit. I still needed a SYE. I went with the Rugged Ridge kit and the Tom Woods CV Drive shaft from Oconee offroad (a vendor here).
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
dan-E
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My springs are pretty flat at this point (still factory stock) so even with the 2.5" lift I'm guessing I'll get at least a 3-4" of total lift. Is it possible to not install the transfer case drop without any negative side affects?
dan-E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 06:40 AM   #4
Jims-87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Dan, I was in the same boat, old tired flat springs, with the 2" BDS and shackle lift I gained about 4+". I first went with 4 shims for the rear axle but that was not enough the drive shaft angle was still off and the slip yoke was only engaged about an 1" or so. I went with the motor mount lift as I also did a 1" body lift so this aided with the radiator placement. I would still think you will need one or the other...
1987 YJ, 258, Weber 32/36, HEI, Custom Sound bar, Hardtop/Sun-rider/bikini tops, 2" Lift, 1/2" Boomerangs, 1" Body & MM Lift. 32x11.5x15 Copper STT's on Black Rock 950 Lobos w/4" backspacing, Still need Front Bumper and Seats.

My build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-very-slow-87-yj-build-thread-1137667/[/url]
Jims-87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.