Transfer case vaccuum case switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case vaccuum case switch

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-10-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
Hambne
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case vaccuum case switch

Did a little search to find what im looking but nothing. I just did a sye conversion on my 91 ( np 231 ) and when it was put back together no 4wd. I figure that it was a vaccuum line broke. I has been replaced before i bought it. Im wondering if it is something inside the tc because when I pull into 4wd the front shaft turn. Is that correct. Also when in 2wd Ihave a vaccuum at the vaccuum switch at the axle but when placed into 4wd there is nothing on either vaccuum lines at the axle. Is there something in the tc that pushes on the check valve on the tc vaccuum switch ? I did replace the vaccuum but still had the same problem. Thanks for the help. Derek

Hambne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you pull the lever for the TC the vac switch is actuated switching the vacuum. While some will say that the connector can't fit on the switch the wrong way, I did do it before. So make sure that the plug is back on right in the "keyed" spot. I would bet that's your problem, especially if it was working before.

Also stand by for everyone to tell you why you should get the posilock.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Hambne
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I made sure that the plug was on right 3 or 4 times but still does the same thing
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:33 PM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes there is something inside the tcase that activates the vacuum switch.

You should have vacuum on the Right side of the axle vacuum motor in 2WD
and vacuum on the Left side of the axle of the vacuum motor in 4WD.

Sounds like you either have a break in the line from the vacuum switch to the Left side of the axle vacuum motor (yellow line) or you have a defective vacuum switch.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Hambne
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does anybody know what activates the switch for it to flop sides
Unread 07-11-2007, 12:22 PM   #6
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The switch in the tcase has a steel ball in the bottom that is pressed on by a cam attached to the shift bar in the tcase.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

your vacuum motor on your front axle housing is prolly seized, happened to me 3 or 4 times before I swapped it out for posi lok.......the vacuum is there but the fork wont move inside the housing, so it wont ingage the 4x4

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #8
Hambne
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys for the help I want to get to wheel again before I make the trip across the big pond t the sandbox but probably. I know for a fact that the vaccuum is not there in 4wd because i took the vaccuum plug off the vaccuum motor and had vaccuum in 2wd but not 4wd. I think it should be the same amount of vaccuum,right?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.