Transfer case shifter confusion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case shifter confusion

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #1
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case shifter confusion

I changed out the Peugot tranny to an AX15 and installed the Older style Novak transfer case shifter. The shift pattern in the Novak was backwards and I decided to use the old transfer case shifter off the Peugot. Here's the problem. The TC shifter handle leans way left and hits my leg. I called the Jeep dealer and they said the shifter was used from 87' through 95'. Anyone have any experience with this situation. And yes, I looked carefully at how it's mounted and there is no adjustment how it mounts.

Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Bump.
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Remove. Heat cherry red. Bend. Reinstall.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
gotswap
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Opihi,
Is that normal for this swap or is the T-case clocked wrong?
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 04:00 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

ALL of the YJ drivetrain options had different transfer case shifters, specific to that particular drivetrain's components.

You need a YJ T/C shifter for an AX15 application.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #6
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

does that mean that the peugot/np231 tx shifter wont fit on an ax15/np231?

I only ask.. because im getting in the same boat...

also... is there any issue with using the old style master cylinder (circa CJ7 (ie, 1987-1989 YJ)) with a new style slave cylinder (circa...post 1996 (the longer one))...

Im having MAJOR pedal play in the clutch before engagement... as in, i had more play before engagement right before prom... less in college, and now none... (that was a joke)...

anyway.. MAJOR play, have bled clutch... repeatedly, but only engages in what feels like the last 10-20%... sorry for the hijack... i should make my own thread....
rbthompsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbthompsonv View Post

I only ask.. because im getting in the same boat...

also... is there any issue with using the old style master cylinder (circa CJ7 (ie, 1987-1989 YJ)) with a new style slave cylinder (circa...post 1996 (the longer one))...

Im having MAJOR pedal play in the clutch before engagement... as in, i had more play before engagement right before prom... less in college, and now none... (that was a joke)...

anyway.. MAJOR play, have bled clutch... repeatedly, but only engages in what feels like the last 10-20%... sorry for the hijack... i should make my own thread....
The hole size on the clutch master cylinder for the 87-89 is different than the 90-95. What you are experiencing is slop in the rod-to pedal area. Look real close at the size hole in your clutch rod and the stud on your pedal.

If I remember correctly on when I did mine, I installed a 95 master cylinder and still used my 88 clutch pedal. The hole was to large for the stud on the pedal thus the slop in the petal

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
The hole size on the clutch master cylinder for the 87-89 is different than the 90-95. What you are experiencing is slop in the rod-to pedal area. Look real close at the size hole in your clutch rod and the stud on your pedal.

If I remember correctly on when I did mine, I installed a 95 master cylinder and still used my 88 clutch pedal. The hole was to large for the stud on the pedal thus the slop in the petal
Not sure you got what i was referencing... my jeep is an 89... old style master... the master is original to this jeep (its a replacement, but an OEM replacement)...

but feels like there should be more...

ie, i have both the old style and newer style master... old style WAS installed, and WAS replaced (with an OEM match) with the AX15... but used the new external slave... just has a lot of play before engagement (newer style doesnt fit because my brake booster is in the way)
Unread 05-31-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
rykemc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure you got what i was referencing... my jeep is an 89... old style master... the master is original to this jeep (its a replacement, but an OEM replacement)...

but feels like there should be more...

ie, i have both the old style and newer style master... old style WAS installed, and WAS replaced (with an OEM match) with the AX15... but used the new external slave... just has a lot of play before engagement (newer style doesnt fit because my brake booster is in the way)
Ok. I misread your post then. I thought you were using the later model master with the early clutch petal. Carry on

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...build-1502848/

APRIL 2013 YJOTM

JUNE 2014 YJOTM
rykemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #10
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rykemc View Post
Ok. I misread your post then. I thought you were using the later model master with the early clutch petal. Carry on
no worries.. older model clutch pedal, older model master.. newer model slave with old model lines until the last foot before master, where i have it switch to a 3AN line into the slave...
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Correct. Not a direct fit.

Can one style be modified to fit another style? Yes, depending on your fabrication skills.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #12
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Opihi and Max. I'll look at the shifter and see about possibly modifying it. In the mean time.... anyone have an NP231 shifter that fits a AX-15 trans. and wants to sell it?
Unread 06-03-2014, 08:32 AM   #13
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I have one... Trying to mod my ba10/np231 to fit... If I get it to work, you are welcome to have my ax15/np231 selector... Pay for shipping and buy me a beer :-)
Unread 06-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #14
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cool! I accept! Send me your mailing address with what you think shipping is and I'll send you the money ASAP. Also, where are we getting together for the beers ?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.