transfer case shift trouble - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case shift trouble

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case shift trouble

I have tried unsuccessfully to search for an answer so "ask and ye shall receive". I installed a sye and a nv3550 trans. Now the tcase shifter and the range lever on the side of tcase will only click or shift twice. After checking the adjustment on shifter and rod I took back half off of tcase. The shifter is all the way rearward against the zgate. The sector still has two teeth left to go and the pin in the mode fork can still move down the groove about 1 1/2 inches until it bottoms out. ( in 4lo, correct?) Is there a way to fix this without pulling chain and all back out? I know pics would help. Sorry. As it operates now, it will only go in 2hi and 4 hi. I hope I havent confused you all more with my rambling explanation. I must have installed something incorrectly but I dont know what. Any and all constructive advice is greatly appreciated.

kojak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think I would disconnect the t-case linkage, and manually try to get the t-case into 4low by moving the lever without the linkage attached. If it does not go into 4low that way, then it is pointing to something else other than the linkage. Have you tried that, or established that?
Unread 06-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #3
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I tried to move the slotted stud that the range lever slides on with a 3/8's wrench but i didnt have enough leverage to move it and i was afraid i would round it off if i forced it. I pulled the spring and detent pin and I will try to move it again tonight. it does not look like there is a binding problem internally, just a misalignment of the range lever and sector. (the slotted piece with the detents) thanks for reply gotta go to work now
Unread 06-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I am thinking that my linkage rod is not long enough? I may weld something on it to give it more length and i think everything will work. Why that happened is beyond me. I will let u know what happens
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #5
Peter Nuss
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When I installed the NV3550 and new T/C, I had to change the angle of the ear on the T/C. I had a new one made and it worked perfect without any other mods. Just make a pattern with cardboard and then have some one mill one for you. It doesn't have to have the exact angle, there is adjustment in the linkage. I had a couple of extra's made, but, I looked around the shop and can not find them right now. I don't think a longer rod will get you the right geometry to make it work, if I remember right, because I would have done that.
Peter Nuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
kojak70
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well I took the linkage off and ground the rod thickness down so that the trunion would adjust farther to the rear. This gave me the travel I needed to get the tcase shifter from full front (2hi ) to full rear (4lo). It seems to be working fine without binding. I wish I had done this before i split the tcase. Thanks for all the help.
Unread 06-05-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The NV3550 has its own transfer case linkage bracket, as the mounting positioning is a bit different . Many people just make it work without the NV3550 bracket with fabrication such as you have, or order one through a company such as advance adapters. Glad it worked out the way you made it work, save a few bucks that way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.