Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Transfer Case Shift Linkage

13K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  michaeld989 
#1 ·
When I bought this Jeep a couple months ago 4WD didn't work. After going over the vacuum lines I noticed the linkage was disconnected, doh! I'm trying to get the bushing located on the trunnion into the shift lever. I can press the bushing in, but it pops back out. Is there supposed to be some type of retaining clip that keeps it in place? My Haynes manual doesn't show anything, but lately I have found it to be lacking detailed information.

#4 ·

That bolt in green is missing but I don't think that is my problem. The rubber bushing on the back of the trunnion (red) won't stay in the shift lever (blue). It pops back out almost immediately, even if I don't try to shift out of 2WD. The trunnion is bolted to the shift rod (purple) and seems to be adjusted properly but it's hard to tell since it keeps popping out.

#6 ·
I fixed it and went on a little off-road test and it performed great, shifting from 2hi to 4 hi to 4lo and back several times with no issues. What I had to do was remove the bushing from the trunnion and then insert the bushing into the shift lever. Then I pressed the trunnion into the bushing and it popped right in and stayed there. I feel kinda stupid for not figuring it out sooner but at least its fixed now. I love having 4WD!

#7 ·
I just recently purchased a 1990 jeep Cherokee and it has a 5spd ax-15 trans and all the 4wd shift linkage is missing including the bracket that bolts on the trans I purchased linkage from ebay but got sent the wrong parts I am desperately looking for the linkage to get this thing working any suggestions??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.