transfer case repair/replacement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case repair/replacement?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 12-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
jmurds
1992 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case repair/replacement?

New to the Jeep community, please forgive my lack of experience.

I picked up a 92 YJ (2.5L 4cl/5sp), all stock (my first Jeep ever!) about a week ago as a daily driver/running project. It runs great except for the fact that today the transfer case started making noise like the chain is slipping. I put it in 4wd for the first time today to get through some snow, then drove in reverse for a bit to ensure 4wd was off. Dirveability is the same as ever. The 4wd light is (and has been) stuck on all the time, but the Jeep itself is definitely in 2wd (when up on a jack, front wheels spin freely by hand). I've already ordered a Posi-Lok setup to replace the retarded (and evidently damaged) vacuum system.

Anyways, I'm concerned about the noise from the transfer case. It sounds like the chain is slipping over worn gears, though only in low rpm range (esp. starting out in 1st gear). It drives the same as it has since I've owned it. I assume this noise is not normal or desirable, but is this a common occurence, and/or one I can live with? I'm going to change the fluid in the transfer case tomorrow and check for any major chunks of metal, does anyone know if there's anything in particular I should look for?

This forum seems to have a lot of great advice from a lot of experienced Jeep owners. Can anyone tell me if simply servicing the transfer case will postpone the need for replacement, or should I just swap the thing out? I don't plan on doing any serious 4-wheeling until this coming summer, so having 4wd isn't critical for now.

If I need to swap the transfer case out, could anyone point me in the direction of a semi-detailed how-to guide? I've searched the forums, but can't seem to find a transfer case swap thread aimed at someone who's completely new to Jeeps. I'll be doing the swap myself, in my driveway, in the snow. I won't have the funds for a new/upgraded T-case until summer either, so I'll be doing a straight stock to stock swap with a junkyard replacement.

Again, any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks guys

jmurds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

I usually start with this,

HAYNES TOTAL CARE MANUAL - JCWhitney

Then..when I find if it's unclear I search the specifics in here or dig deeper with Google...

Not an expert here by any means, and never was a mechanic, but that book has helped me understand and take my jeep apart...and will help me put it back together. This forum is great for the details the book misses...and much more!!

I will see if I can find you a link for another source....
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a neat play-by-play...still recommend the manual...

Jeep Wrangler - Rockland Standard Gear's NP231 Transfer Case - 4WD & Sport Utility Magazine
Unread 12-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
jmurds
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Great find on the transfer case swap article. I picked up the Haynes manual, don't know how I ever lived without one. After changing the T-case fluid, which was low, the noise cleared up. Glad to know if it does break, it doesn't look too hard to swap out. Thanks for the help!
jmurds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2009, 02:03 AM   #5
godzirra
1992 YJ Wrangler 

replace it with a dana 300
Unread 12-17-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurds View Post
Thanks for the help!
You're Welcome!

I just pulled mine (whole drivetrain) but I am putting back an Atlas case...can't wait!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.