Transfer Case Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer Case Removal

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-07-2003, 03:46 PM   #1
biohazardbill

Transfer Case Removal

Wondering what the easiest way to drop my T-Case. I have to replace my main shaft. I have a manual Trans.... do i need to drop it at the same time?

Is the skid plate also the support for my T-Case?

Bill

biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #2
arepee

drain your t-case from the bolt on the rear lower left corner, then disconnect your front driveshaft, and take out your rear at the t-case and most likely to get that off you'll have to disconnect the u-joint at the rear diff.....(assumng you have a slip yoke), you will also have to unbolt and remove the skid plate, and yes it does support the t-case and transmission.....then there are like six bolts around your t-case that connects it to the transmission, disconnect those......you will also need to disconnect the linkage to your four wheel drive selector.....then it should just slide off.

Ross
arepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2003, 10:02 PM   #3
gunsworth

Be sure to support the transmission before you yank off the plate, but you already knew that though, didnt you?
Unread 08-08-2003, 07:39 AM   #4
BamaJeeper

The t-case only weighs about 80lbs so you can man-handle it on your back while under the Jeep. Don't forget to fill it with ATF when you install it.
Unread 08-08-2003, 08:28 AM   #5
hcclimber

I just took mine off about 2 weeks ago. These guys are right on. Make sure that you use a jack or jack stand under the tranny when taking off the skid plate. Also the bolts on top of the tranny that connect the t-case can be a real biotch to get off. To make it a little easier you can take the shifter plates off and get to them from the top. If you have a wratcheting wrench it could also cut down the time a bit.

stewart
Unread 08-09-2003, 02:56 PM   #6
jjunior887

I just got done taking mine out, you can get a little more clearance on those PITA bolts on top if you lower the tranny a bit. Also don't forget about the Speedo cable and the linkage for the shifter, you don't have to take the whole thing out but just make sure to undo the bolt that connects to the case. Good Luck-James
jjunior887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2003, 07:21 PM   #7
biohazardbill

Thank you guys for your suggestions... everything went well. 6 hours to replace main shaft in transfer case...not to bad i should say since it is the first time for me... There are a few things i need to work out but that will be posted in another thread

Bill
biohazardbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.