transfer case removal.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case removal....

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 01-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
mmasuperman12
1998 XJ Cherokee 

transfer case removal....

so last sunday i broke the slip yoke portion of my NP231 off and i got another transfer case, now mind you i have no idea what caused this to happen i was on the highway and BOOM :suicide: ! she exploded on me and the rear ujoints failed so i dont know if they are the culpret or not.

anywho. the question is canr i remove the transfer case with out touchin the tranny or do i have to drop it and another thing can i take the yoke off the newer one and put it in the one i have in my jeep right now.

i dont think there is anything wrong with the case because i can put it into 4wd and drive it(thats how i got it into my garage off the tow truck.

Jeep drivers who dig Country Music member #12

1998 XJ - beginning the revival.
mmasuperman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
jeepinMatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you can remove it with out removing the tranny but the skid pate holds both up so make sure you support the tranny then drop the skid and the remove the t-case or if you are just going to replce the slip yoke you might be able to do it w/o droping anything but im not sure of the last part
jeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If the donor transfer case is in good shape it's easier to replace the transfer case than the main shaft, I think it's only 5 nuts if I remember right. As stated support transmission, remove mount/skid plate and seperate trans and transfer, don't forget to disconnect speedo and shift linkage. Good luck.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM   #4
mmasuperman12
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the shaft is in fine shape it was just the end part that broke off ill post pics in a little bit just took a break for a quick bite of food and then just puttin the d-shaft back in and then a test drive after refilling some fluids thanks for all the help guys and sorry if i was unclear in what went wrong pics may make it easier
Jeep drivers who dig Country Music member #12

1998 XJ - beginning the revival.
mmasuperman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

easiest way to remove the upper mpounting bolts for the 231 is to remove the shifter and the plates from inside, then you can reach down to get to the bolts....
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.