transfer case problems, help!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case problems, help!!

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughECGS Fall Sale - 10% Off EVERYTHING!!Gear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 10-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
Gert44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case problems, help!!

so my 4wd went out about 4 months ago, i took my jeep to tires plus who told me i needed a new transfer case, I purchased one from a junk yard and replaced it myself without any problems and the 4wd worked again.

suddenly the same problem i had before started again, the linkage works underneath, but the 4wd will not engage and the gears do not change in to 4lo.

when purchasing the transfer case the junk yard employee broke the transfer case switch off of the purchased transfer case and we had to place my old on on the purchased one. could this be the problem even though the 4wd did work for a couple months after the swap?? any other suggestions??

Gert44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Dake

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is it the transfer case or the vacuum system? Jack up the front axle and put in 4wd now see if you can turn the drive shaft. I n order to check the CAD vacuum system it will need to be running. With it running spin the wheel and see if the other wheel spins which why depends on weather you have a locker or not. Make sure you have the rear wheels chocked and e-brake on. Be safe about this.
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Gert44
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thanks ill give it shot, would the vacuum lines/system affect the 4lo gearing though?
Gert44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert44 View Post
thanks ill give it shot, would the vacuum lines/system affect the 4lo gearing though?
Exactly. There is a difference between your front wheels not engaging and your transfer case not engaging.

Dake's suggestion is a good one since this is generally the issue when people say that their 4wd isnt working, but if your transfer case is shifting into 4lo then you should feel the gear reduction.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.