Transfer case problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case problem

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-29-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case problem

Looking for help. Have had no problems in the past. Today with East coast snowstorm, went to plow, and either I could hear it coming out of 4wd or would not engage at all. Had 4low and neutral. My front axle is permanently locked, no vacuum issues. I hope this is a linkage issue. How do I check, and how to adjust? Any ideas? What and where is the linkage and does it have adjustments?

Unread 10-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #2
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Front axle has vacuum disconnect on passenger side. Should be two vac hoses coming out of a disc looking housing. Check to see that those are connected, and then take off and spray some PB Blaster in them when they are above freezing and let them thaw. Then connect and see if they shift in and out with the transfer case. There is no linkage except for the one from your lever to the case. I bet you got morning dew moisture in them, it froze and wont move the vac motor. Put it in the garage, thaw it out and check the lines and put PB in both metal sockets where the hoses went.

My Build Thread --->>> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotelconucc93 View Post
Front axle has vacuum disconnect on passenger side. Should be two vac hoses coming out of a disc looking housing. Check to see that those are connected, and then take off and spray some PB Blaster in them when they are above freezing and let them thaw. Then connect and see if they shift in and out with the transfer case. There is no linkage except for the one from your lever to the case. I bet you got morning dew moisture in them, it froze and wont move the vac motor. Put it in the garage, thaw it out and check the lines and put PB in both metal sockets where the hoses went.
He said that his front axle is permanently locked.

The only linkage that would be involved is the linkage between your lever and your transfer case. Without much detail on what is happening, itís hard to say where your problem would be. You could check the linkage and make sure it didn't slip.

Here is a picture of the linkage. You can see that the end that connects to the shift lever is adjustable by loosening the bolt.

Give us some more details and I am sure someone will be able to help you out.
7714020146_large.jpg  
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
I8AHUMR
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Deleted

05 WK, 5.7 Hemi, Quadra-Drive II
I8AHUMR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post

The only linkage that would be involved is the linkage between your lever and your transfer case. Without much detail on what is happening, it’s hard to say where your problem would be. You could check the linkage and make sure it didn't slip.

Here is a picture of the linkage. You can see that the end that connects to the shift lever is adjustable by loosening the bolt.

I'll look in the morning to see if I can see the linkage. Great picture. I assume there is only one lever/linkage, it both engages front axle and puts it into 4L?

My vac unit is disabled, the forks are in the locked position with a bolt. This is not my DD, so I do not care about it being in all the time.

Thanks for the help.
Unread 10-30-2011, 12:09 AM   #6
stenyeart

1990 YJ Wrangler 

There is only one lever and linkage that shifts from 2H-4H-N-4L. The front axle is engaged (factory vacuum setup) by a vacuum switch towards the rear of the transfer case. It is completely separate.

This is a picture I picked up off of google image search.
stenyeart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart View Post

The only linkage that would be involved is the linkage between your lever and your transfer case. Without much detail on what is happening, it’s hard to say where your problem would be. You could check the linkage and make sure it didn't slip.

OK, I checked it more carefully. While I did not get the PBS Blaster to loosen the linkage, I took it out again. It will go into 4L, so the front axle should be engaged. Under load, I felt and heard it "jump" out, no front axle power (or 2WD), but still in 4L. Can the transfer case do this? Does that mean the Tcase is shot? I have had Jeeps jump from 4L to N, never lose the front axle. There also was no 4H. I just do not know about the guts of the Tcase. Any ideas?
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK, got the Jeep fixed. Turns out not to be the transfer case, the fork in my permanently locked front axle broke. The bolt keeping it engaged bent, fork snapped. I was getting front drive train engagement sporadically. Who would suspect it would snap?
I admit I did not suspect that, as the fork was locked in place. Thanks to those who tried to help.
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #9
plmqazed
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Glad you got i fixed
plmqazed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
hotelconucc93

2010 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenyeart

Think outside the box.....or stay in it.

My Build Thread --->>> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/t...ilding-869713/

Not my write up, but now one of my jeeps losing a BA and gaining an AX-> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/y...ite-up-312203/
hotelconucc93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #11
sjwrangler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The axle was and is again permanently locked.
I admit at first I did not check if it was broken, because it went in and then slipped out of 4WD. We did check it just before getting ready to drop the transfer case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.