transfer case pops out of gear, Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > transfer case pops out of gear, Help!

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:03 AM   #1
sbaucom
1987 YJ Wrangler 

transfer case pops out of gear, Help!

for a backgound i am 16 years old and in the past 4 days me and a freind have pulled the motor and put in a diffrent motor and transmission in my 1987 jeep wrangler yj automatic . new radiator and new lines going to everything, new water pump, we have the motor running like a top. im really satisfied with the motor and glad that all of the work has paid off with that part of it.

But i went to take it on the first drive and i can get up to about 30 mph and there is a horrible grinding/whineing sound that comes from the transfer case. This is the origional transfer case. I know that it has to be the transfer case because the motor and transmission are good. it came from an AMC eagle and we drove the car before we pulled the motor.

Right now i dont have the 2H-4L-4H shifting linkage hooked up, i can reach the little thing that turns with a 7/16 wrench and turn it. I put dextron III transmission fluid in the transfer case.

Im not scared to tear into the trasfer case it if i have to, maybe there is a place that i can send it to be rebuilt?? although i would like to hear what your guys opinion is before i do. Maybe it is something simple that i am overlooking.

Thanks, this project has been a learning experience for me and i would love to get this thing running now that i have invested so much work, time, and money into it.

sbaucom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

hook the linkage up to the transfer case and see if it fixes your problem. Vibration.. etc may be letting it fall out of place and grind.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #3
sbaucom
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark05059 View Post
hook the linkage up to the transfer case and see if it fixes your problem. Vibration.. etc may be letting it fall out of place and grind.
I don't think thy the linkage is the problem, but I'll try it anyhow. Before I replaced the motor and tranny it was doing the same thing. So we tore apart the transfer case and looked for any damaged gears or anything that looked wrong at all and found nothing. This was two years ago.

We thought that the transmission was bad so I went ahead and replaced the motor and transmission in one shot since the motor was smoking and didn't have much life left.

But after two different transmissions, one that I know for a fact is good, it's obvious that the problem lies within the transfer case. If you know of a place where I can get one at a reasonable price it would be great. Because like I said we already investigated the transfer case on it and unless someone on this forum knows what the problem is in stuck with replacing the whole transfer case.
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:42 AM   #4
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

why change it if you have had it apart once. The usual problem is the forks inside. There are 2 in there.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
sbaucom
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Can you give me a link for these forks? I'm guessing that there was only one model of transfer case for the 87 yj.
Thanks!

Edit: i did a little research and it i the np207 transfer case. When you say I need to replace the forks , do you mean the entire forks or just the fork pads?

Last edited by sbaucom; 02-20-2013 at 06:26 AM..

Tags
transfer case , wrangler yj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.