Transfer case planetary gear noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Transfer case planetary gear noise

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
bigh20rnr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case planetary gear noise

Ok so I was installing my SYE and I got the transfer case completely apart. While looking it over and cleaning out the internal components I spun the planetary gear and it spins ok but it seems to make a slight grinding noise and has a slight catch as it spins around. Since I have never taken these things apart I am not sure if this is normal gear noise, the gears appear ok from the outside but I haven't taken apart the input bearing and planetary gear assembly. Any ideas? Thanks

Rick

Unread 06-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
warehimer34060
1999 WJ 

I have that exact same problem. Just looking for an answer!
warehimer34060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
G30SFF250
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Either run it or replace it.

It is a 20 year old piece of equipment.

Replace everything you are working on or just replace what breaks.

It is the never ending story. Replace before it causes further damage but how far is too far and how much money do you want to spend.

I can't figure it out myself. I like doing things right but I don't want to be that guy that has $40,000 in a Jeep that sells for $6,000.

Good luck my friend!
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
saylor

Bump anybody?? Same question
saylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.